I have a css grid question, using this image <http://www.webdesignerwall.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/978-grid.gif> as an example. The 12 columns, including the gutters is a row correct ? I understand that you can span your content, or images, which must never have a width, XX number of columns for page layout.

In the example image, there are 54px columns and 30px gutters, if everything I've mentioned so far is correct ? What I don't understand is, what is the purpose of gutters, or must a grid system have gutters either way, if you remove them or not, they must be there ?

Thanks
Christopher