Yes php is one. There are tuts on this all over and example scripts.
Best to have an Apache server for this, not Windows from my experience.
Depending on your server there may be some php.ini directives that you will
need to set,
but these tuts usually go over this part with you.

Some search terms:
php dynamic image from text
php dynamic text on image
php thumbnail creator