In all the p.~1 examples currently visible, the problem could be solved
by simply treating the problem as a 2-column one; for a more general
solution that would allow very long text over-runs to continue under the
image rather than alongside, I would try an approach that places each
paragraph in its own container, and allow any one container to either be
alongside or underneath but never both.

Philip Taylor
--------