Chris Williams wrote:

> [Can you] explain then, your email of yesterday where you explain that you
> said

Explain what, Chris ?  I sent a plain text message in UTF-8 which read :

> Gates, Jeff wrote:
>
>> Instead of a ³tick² mark for an apostrophe, I¹d like a mark like you see
>> here: ¹
>> This: ¹ Not this: '
>
> Hmmm, what I see are superscript 3, 2 & 1 in that order, followed by a
> prime.  What I now think you meant is :
>
> Instead of a “tick” mark for an apostrophe, I¹d like a mark like you see
> here: ’
>
> I know of no way of accomplishing that using CSS, but server-side
> processing might be an (off-list/topic) option.
>
> Philip Taylor

If what you received was did not contain left and right double curly
quotation marks and a single right curly quotation mark, then your
e-mail client is incapable of displaying even the most basic parts of
the Unicode repertoire correctly.

What you sent back, which displayed here as left and right
double-quotation marks but a superscript 1 instead of a single right
quotation mark was not sent in UTF-8 but in a Korean encoding :

If you abandon Unicode and use proprietary or national encodings, all
bets are off.  Jeff used neither (he used a standard ISO encoding :  ISO
8859-1) but as that encoding does not contain the characters he was
seeking to communication, they appeared garbled as one would expect :
ISO-8859-1 contains only « », " ", and ' ', and does not provide for
oriented (6- or 9-shaped) single or double quotation marks.

Philip Taylor