Check out gridsetapp.com if you’re creating a complex design to adjust the
number of columns per row automatically.
Set up a grid and choose breakpoints and margins (between columns, not page
borders).
It creates the css styles for the different sizes and then just add those to
the html container class. I use this for when I need a complex layout for large
screens.

If the site is simpler, http://getskeleton.com/ is great. Although I tend to
get rid of an element it uses (I think it’s the “row” div, or the “container”
div. one of those isn’t needed).

I don’t personally use frameworks because I want to understand the code and
while foundation, etc are pretty, they confuse the hell out of me.