Sorry Tom, I completely glossed over your actual question.

I can only guess that your method (fewer files I presume) is faster to
compile but I can't imagine that being anything noticeable.  From an
organization standpoint I strongly prefer breaking everything into
components and including the relevant media queries with each component.
I've worked with large codebases that have separate files for media
queries, each breakpoint, and I've always found it more difficult to track
down what I need.