Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:13:17 -0700

From: "Marti Goddard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: [Publib] RE: video phones for people who are deaf or hard of

          hearing

To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

There is a Sorenson VP200 video phone in the Deaf Services Center of the

San Francisco Main Library:

http://www.sfpl.org/librarylocations/accessservices/deafservices.htm

We got the phone and the television to which it is attached from the

Sorenson Video Relay Service (VRS): http://www.sorensonvrs.com/

Web cams that work through computers are available from Hands On VRS,

Sprint, etc. Our IT staff had fire-wall worries when we broached that idea.

We had a dedicated DSL line installed to work with our Sorenson VP200.

We experimented first with using it through the Library's regular server

and found that upload and download time when using that shared bandwidth

made the signing jerky and difficult to understand.

We have a guideline of one hour of use per day per person. Users borrow

the remote control from the desk and sign in with a start time (but no

name). Folks sometimes make a few short calls through the day. The VP is

used every day the Deaf Services Center is open (Tuesday - Saturday).

For January - July of 2007, here are usage numbers:

          - 33 people on average used the videophone each week.

          - Highest usage in one week was 53.

          - Lowest usage in one week was 20.

Please feel free to ask questions!

Marti