This is a message from CTLS-L.
Selecting "Reply" will send a message to the originator.
Selecting "Reply to All" will send a message to the entire list.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dawn Vogler
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:49 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [slm] Ref Books still being purchased in print

> Hi all,
>
> Here's a list of compiled responses to the question I posted a couple
weeks ago on what small libraries are still puchasing for their reference
collections:

> Texas Almanac (this is online at http://www.texasalmanac.com/)
>
> World Book Encyclopedia
>
> World Almanac (a little bit online at www.worldalmanac.com but not much)
Best selling reference book ever.

www.worldalmanacforkids.com

> Information Plus Reference Series
> The Information Plus Reference Series provides statistical data on 32 of
today's most controversial and most studied social issues. Each Information
Plus title is a compilation of current and historical statistics -- with
analysis -- on aspects of one contemporary social issue, such as abortion,
capital punishment, and genetic engineering. Each title is divided into
chapters that are devoted to a particular topic. The text provides a clear
and comprehensive summary of up-to-date research on the topic and is
interspersed with the statistical tables, charts, and graphs. Each table is
directly referred to and carefully explained in the text.

> How to do your own divorce in Texas ( I think they've got a corner on this
market!)  $25, Nolo Press

> Legal forms
>
> Texas State Directory (comprehensive guide to elected officials at many
levels of government, down to city/county and even boards that regulate
state policy)

> Current Biography Yearbook
>
> Contemporary Authors
>
> Literary Criticism
>
> Occupational Outlook Handbook (online at bls.gov/oco)
>
> Writer's Market (have to buy print version or subscribe online for this
type of info)

> Peterson's Guide to Two and Four Year Colleges (www.petersons.com)
>
> College Board Scholarships Handbook (www.collegeboard.com has info on
applying, but does not tell you which ones are out there)

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com

> Time Almanac
>
> Dinosaur Encyclopedia (good online equivalents but not all children are of
age to process what they see on a screen,
http://members.tripod.com/~Dinosauria/DinoList.html)