From: Deborah Littrell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:06 PM
To: Pat Tuohy (E-mail); [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Christopher Jowaisas; Stacey Malek
Subject: question on CTLS list

Pat and staff:
The following question was discussed on the CTLS list and was brought to my
attention with a question about system membership rules:

>I am interested to know if your libraries charge patrons for Interlibrary
>Loans, and if so, how much you charge. I would appreciate any and all
>feedback. We currently charge $2.00 per item, but since it costs more
>than that to mail the ILLs, we are considering going up on that fee.

13 TAC 1.72 (parts a and b) say the following:

ยง1.72 Public Library Service
(a) Library services must be provided without charge or deposit to all
persons residing in the local political subdivisions which provide monetary
support to the library. These library services include the dissemination of
materials or information by the library to the general public during the
hours of operations of all library facilities. In this context, library
services include the circulation of any type of materials, reference
services (locating and interpreting information), use of computers to access
information sources, databases, or other similar services, and admissions to
the facility or any programs sponsored or conducted by the library.
(b) The following charges are permitted at the discretion of the library's
governing authority: reserving library materials; use of meeting rooms;
replacement of lost borrower cards; fines for overdue, lost, or damaged
materials in accordance with local library policies; postage; in-depth
reference services on a contractual basis; photocopying; printing;
telefacsimile services; library parking; service to nonresidents; sale of
publications; rental and deposits on equipment; and charges for the use of
materials and machine-readable data bases not owned by the library, major
resource center, or regional library system for which the vendor or supplier
has charged a borrowing fee.

Please note that a library does not charge a fee for ILL service; they may
charge for postage (cost recovery) or cost recovery if the lender charges a
fee for the ILL. While it may seem a small distinction, it is an important
concept. I would appreciate you passing this information along on your list.

Thank you.

Deborah Littrell
Director, Library Development division
Texas State Library and Archives Commission
PO Box 12927
Austin, TX 78711-2927
512-463-5456
512-463-8800 fax