Well, the first order of business, not the original question, is to pay for the
lost items so the library isn't blocked from ILL. Same would be true for
TexShare losses. That is the easier thing to do.

We go through Municipal Court and file a warrant. Due to the costs to us (legal
fees and costs of staff (library and court)) we don't do this until we hit $125
in lost materials (excluding fines). Otherwise, we chalk it up to the cost of
doing business. All the warrant does though is that if someone is stopped and a
check run, the warrant pops up. We have about 2 customers a month who get
caught in warrant checks. They end up paying pretty hefty fees.

To minimize such loss, we do ILL and TexShare for those who have had a card
with us for at least 30 days. This minimizes the "impulse buy." Won't eliminate
it completely, though.

If this person is outside of your city limits, you need to talk to your
attorney on the process that would hold up in Municipal or County Court.

Bottom line, though, is to balance your costs for doing all of this vs. the
loss. For us, getting legal involved is $150 an hour. Staff labor to file with
Municipal Court, plus their labor costs, and the stiff fees (over ½ going to
the state), makes this process costly to the library and the patron.

Some libraries use collection agencies. I'm not sure that most of our popular
lit is worth the bad press of collection agencies. If we were academic
libraries with high dollar or rare items, it might be a different story.

Dale

Dale Ricklefs, Library Director
Round Rock Public Library
216 E. Main Street, Round Rock, Texas 78664
512-218-7010; 218-7061 (fax); 669-1753 (cell); [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Please note that our spam blocker blocks many emails, especially yahoo, gmail,
and similar sites. You may get a "mailbox full" message. This means you have
been blocked. Please call at one of the numbers above if you are having
problems getting through. Thank you!