-----Original Message-----
From: Plumer, Danielle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:25 AM
To: Genealogy Round Table
Subject: [genealogy] Support for "Preserving the American Historical Record"
Bill

Friends:

I'm writing to solicit your help in the passage of HR 6056, entitled the
"Preserving the American Historical Record" bill.  Those of you who attended
the Society of Southwest Archivists meeting in May heard a brief description
of the bill and how it would benefit custodians of historical records
throughout the country.  Others of you may have seen the description of the
bill at the Society of American Archivists website.  If approved, the more
than three million dollars in federal funding that would come to Texas would
be granted out to repositories throughout the state holding historically
valuable records to assist them in their efforts to preserve and improve
access to those materials.  Right now the bill has 22 co-sponsors in the
House but at least 50 are needed to get the bill out of committee for a
hearing and a vote.  I have written three letters to members of the Texas
delegation in the House, but so far only one member of the delegation, Rep.
Sheila Jackson-Lee of Houston, has signed on as a cosponsor.  I am asking,
therefore, that you contact your congressman by phone, by email, or by fax
and encourage them to sign on as a cosponsor of HR 6056.  Background
information and a draft letter are included in the information on this
website: http://www.archivists.org/pahr.  Any  assistance you can provide in
helping get this highly important piece of legislation passed will be
greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or need any additional
information.

Chris LaPlante, State Archivist

Archives and Information Services Division

Texas State Library and Archives Commission

512-463-5467 (voice) 512-463-5430 (fax)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]