-Caveat Lector-

> ******The information below may be found at SOA WATCH WEB PAGE at:
> http://www.soa.org/**********************************************
>
> US Defense Department says teaching manuals violated
>                              US policy
>
> On September 20, the U.S. Defense Department admitted that manuals
used to train soldiers at the US Army School of the Americas at Fort
Benning, Georgia, included practices that were outlawed in the 1980s.
According to the Pentagon, the manuals suggested that informants could
be controlled with fear, beatings, truth serum, and death threats.

> One manual, entitled "Handling of Sources" stated that "The
counterintelligence agent must offer presents and compensation for
information leading to the arrest, capture or death of guerrillas."
Another manual, entitled "Terrorism and the Urban Guerrilla" suggested
using extortion in interrogations and that counterintelligence agents'
duties should include specifying "targets for neutralizing."

> The Pentagon said that the manuals were used at the School of the
Americas from 1989 to 1991 and by trainers in Latin America from 1987
to 1989. According to Lt. Col. Arne Owens, a Pentagon spokesman, "The
problem was discovered in 1992, properly reported and fixed." On July
of the Americas spokesman Major Gordon Martel stated that "All of the
manuals used by the School of the Americas are approved by the Army,
and the school has never done those things [executions and physical
abuse], ever, in its history... I'm flabbergasted. I don't know how
they could say such things without ever having come down here to the
School of the Americas. " The manuals specifying such methods of
operation, which violated Army policy at the time. The Defense
Department claims that is trying to collect the manuals, but noted
that "due to incomplete records, retrieval of all copies is doubtful."

> White House spokesman Mike McCurry, when asked about the School of the
Americas during a press conference on Monday, September 23, stated
that "the School for the Americas is not the school that would have
entertained the use of these very inappropriate manuals long ago."

> The Center for International Policy has made the following related
documents available online:

>     Defense Department "Fact Sheet" detailing the manuals' use and
>     quoting the objectionable passages. March 10, 1992 Defense
>     Department report of the investigation into the manuals'
      content. 1992 Department of Defense memo detailing "policy on
intelligence and counterintelligence training of non-United       States
persons."

> NUEVO AMANECER PRESS-N.A.P.To know about us visit:
> http://www.nap.cuhm.mx/nap0.htm  (spanish)
> In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107,this material is
distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a
prior interest. This information is for non-profit research and
education purpuses only. **We encourage you to reproduce this
information but please give credit to the source, translator and
publication. thank you.**
> General Director:Roger Maldonado-Mexico  Director Europe: Darrin
  Wood-Spain