-Caveat Lector-

> This is an article that is not focused on Koestler's writings, but
> on his behavior. But do notice how The 13th Tribe is categorized by
> the Times.   --- Joshua2

That's "alleged" behavior--just he-said she-said rumors to sensationalize a
bio--and "mis"-categorized, since 13th Tribe is clearly not a novel. I ask again,
have you read the book? Or is belly-flop surfing around the web really the only
thing necessary to understanding this issue?

I think the removal of Koestler's bust from Edinburgh is criminal. Cesarani became
bent on assassinating Koestler's character because Koestler didn't fit his
expectations as a Jewish intellectual in this century. It's a pity that a CTRL
reader would repeat a personal smear like this instead of discussing the issue at
hand.

Here are some comments about the Koestler bio from Jim Martin at Flatland
(http://www2.flatlandbooks.com/flatland/news.html):

"If the Revolution had been in Germany, at least it would have been a clean one."
-Arthur Koestler to Langston Hughes, Ashkhabad, USSR, 1932.

A new biography of Arthur Koestler, (The Homeless Mind) by David Cesarani, has
been published in England, to much fanfare in the press - apparently Koestler's
been accused of violent rape. "I always thought Koestler was an asshole,"
Alexander Cockburn wrote a couple of weeks ago, in a doubled barrelled blast at
both Koestler, and George Orwell, both of whom blew a few holes in the Iron
Curtain. (One reader wrote in reply, asking about Cockburn's father, Claud, and
his own covert history during the Hitler-Stalin Pact years.) Anyway, I'm wading
through this book, and will report on anything significant. So far, the book is
unavailable to the US book trade.

kt