Author Claims Bomb Jury Indictment

TULSA, Okla. (AP) -- The author of a book exploring conspiracy theories
surrounding the Oklahoma City bombing says he is the person named in a sealed
indictment handed up last week by a grand jury.

David Hoffman said he was indicted for allegedly sending copies of his book,
``The Oklahoma City Bombing and The Politics of Terror,'' to jurors while the
panel was meeting, the Tulsa World reported Saturday. Hoffman wouldn't say
whether the allegation is true.

``For them to render a decision like this is absolutely ludicrous,'' Hoffman
said. ``When they talk about jury tampering, who has had more influence -- me
or the District Attorney's Office or the judge?''

The grand jury's report, issued Wednesday, rejected several conspiracy
theories that have persisted since the bombing.

Attempts to reach Hoffman by The Associated Press on Saturday were
unsuccessful. Federal prosecutors have said they will not comment on the
sealed indictment until the person is arrested.

Hoffman, who telephoned the Tulsa newspaper on Friday, said he is ``on the
road'' and does not plan to surrender to authorities immediately.

He said he is on a deferred sentence on a stalking charge and is concerned
that the new indictment could result in a lengthy jail stay in Oklahoma
County.

``If I can't work out some reasonable terms with the district attorney, I am
not surrendering,'' the Oklahoma City resident said.

The grand jury complained of one or more people who ``took the outrageous step
of anonymously contacting one or more of our members at their homes,'' and
said it was offended by ``improper and perhaps illegal attempts to exert
influence on the outcome of our investigation.''

Hoffman's book deals with conspiracy theories and allegations that the federal
government had prior knowledge of the April 19, 1995, bombing of the Alfred P.
Murrah Federal Building that killed 168 people.

Grand jurors said that after hearing 117 witnesses and examining thousands of
exhibits, ``we can state with assurance that we do not believe that the
federal government had prior knowledge that this horrible terrorist attack was
going to happen.''

The grand jury called on District Attorney Bob Macy to carry through with his
plans to bring state murder charges in the bombing. Macy has said he will
charge Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols, who have been convicted on federal
charges.

Former state Rep. Charles Key, who organized the petition drive that caused
the grand jury to be seated, has said he is not satisfied with the results and
plans to call for a congressional investigation.

In a copyrighted story in Saturday's editions, The Daily Oklahoman reported
that U.S. Rep. James Traficant, D-Ohio, also intends to call for a
congressional hearing on the bombing.