-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 1/2/99 10:43:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  I am eager to hear your reply, because I have found that Clinton-type
>  supporters invariably LOVE the current no-checks-and-balances computerized
>  vote tallying systems.

I have to admit to being more than a tad suspicious of anything which the
Libertarians or conservatives find appealing.  The Libertarians sound
appealing because they at least have the good sense to know that locking up
huge numbers of citizens for victimless crimes and squandering billion of
dollars on the "war on drugs" is damaging to the nation.  On the other hand, i
heard much of what was said at their convention in 1996 and it became plain
that the party leaders are mostly interested in avoiding taxes.  They either
believe that it is possible to have a society worth living in without expenses
or their top priority is "let George pay for it" where George is you or me.
This gives them plenty in common with those for whom the Republicans carry
water despite the hypocritical moralizing by the conservatives.

At this point i am not sufficiently familiar with the issue of going back to
count the ballot the old fashioned way.  Doubtlessly, there are certain
efficiencies in automated vote counts for both time and money.  There were
charges of vote fraud when the ballots were still hand counted.  There are
questions here of the impact on the growing use of referendums that going back
would have, i.e. would they still be practicable?  In short, i must weasel out
here and not give the court room lawyers preferred answer of yes or no.
Cheers.

Jerry