-Caveat Lector-

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  What I remember from years ago  was it was *possible* that the millenium
>began in the early  70s, or early 90s...and it was even possible that
>the millenium actually begins in what we know as the years 2004 or in
>that area...or 2001 could be the correct date.

It's ALL an artificial construct....

GOD is not operating on the Western calendar...nor on any other calendar
developed by man...

Whenever 'the millenium' ends or begins is based solely on a subjective
decision made by a body of men...doesn't matter a whit about
'corrections', etc.

In the west, we've set up an artificial construct where every 1000 years,
people 'lose it' and expect the world to end...

The problem is (and it doesn't matter whether it's a 'corrected' calendar
or not) is that people forget that there was never a year zero, that
centuries (and hence, 'millenium') start with a year '1' (or ending in
'1'), which means it ends in a year ending in 'zero')...

The same argument went on 100 years ago, where those 'in the know'
unsuccessfully tried to stop 'Fin de Siecle' parties being held on Dec.
31, 1899, accurately pointing out that the 19th century didn't really end
until a year later, and the 20th century start on Jan. 1, 1901....

It's a losing argument...now, just like then...so my suggestion is that
the party last a year and two days, start on Dec. 31, 1999, and end at
midnight on Jan. 1, 2001....   ;-)

June

      The melancholy days are come, the saddest of the year,
      Of wailing winds and naked woods, and meadows brown and sear.
        -- Wm. Cullen Bryant:  The Death of the Flowers
*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*
                        revcoal AT connix DOT com
 It is UNLAWFUL to send unsolicited commercial email to this email
 address per United States Code Title 47 Sec. 227.  I assess a fee of
 $500.00 US currency for reading and deleting such unsolicited commercial
 email.  Sending such email to this address denotes acceptance of these
 terms.  My posting messages to Usenet neither grants consent to receive
 unsolicited commercial email nor is intended to solicit commercial
 email.