-Caveat Lector-

About ten years ago, I drove into Mexico..  After having done so, I
decided to never do it again.  I was stopped nine times by the Mexican
police as I made my way from Matamoros (Brownsville) to Puebla, Mexico
(approximately ninety miles south of Mexico City.  Mexico is a police
state.. There are Federal police, city police, special squads of narco
cops operating in unmarked cars.. and the system of "mordida" (the payoff)
rules over everyone.  In some of the smaller communities, the cops
routinely demand payment from the "nortenos," those Mexicans who have
traveled north to work in the US.

Whenever truckers see a police car pulled over by the side of the highway
in some remote place... They stop their trucks to make the necessary
payoff to the cop who must pay his supervisor a share of the graft he
collects while performing his duties...  I had a chance to talk to Mexican
truckers on occasion in the little highway stands along the highways..
The life of a Mexican trucker is not a happy one.  They drive dangerous
rigs...if they get into an accident, they usually abandon the scene of the
accident for fear of being buried away in a Mexican prison... (the
Napoleonic Code rules in Mexico--you are presumed to be guilty and must
prove your innocence, ie buy your way out of trouble).

I would never advise an American to travel into the interior down there.
Sometimes the
shakedown is exorbitant... a demand for a thousand dollar payment on the
spot or the hapless turista can expect a few days in a Mexican jail.

Or, there are the notorious "topes" or speedbumps placed in remote areas
on Mexican highways.  In some remote areas, the local inhabitants wait in
the dark beside the speed bumps to assault and rob motorists who must slow
down to almost a crawl in order to get their vehicles across the bumps.

NAFTA, of course, provides us with an open-door policy to the drug riches
of old Mexico....just think of all of those trucks rolling across the
border bringing narcotics to our citizens, many of whom are children.

Or think of the sweat shops set up along the Rio Grande....filled with
young girls working for pennies for US corporations..  Has anyone on this
list ever been in Reynosa?  Juarez?