-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 1/8/99 1:16:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> My
>  understanding of law has lead me to believe that the southern states had
>  the legal right to leave the union and that they did so lawfully. As I
>  stated, the Supreme Court of the time was probably in agreement with
>  this position. It was Lincoln and others in the northern states who
>  ignored their oathes to the Constitution.

Suppose that you are quite correct in saying that Jefferson Davis, Stonewall
Jackson, Robert E. etc.  were strictly legal.  What you are missing is that
more is involved with every man's actions than legality, or for that matter,
profit.  These men in high leadership positions knew this.  What motivated
them.  They did not perform an act merely because it was legal, i.e. they did
not act arbitrarily.

They joined in the Confederacy because it stood for their way of seeing, their
way of living.  That way was based upon slavery.  The Southern leadership
could not stay in the Union without accepting a gradual change over in the
dirty little condition that made their way possible.  The North was not going
to accept additional slave states and the opposition to slavery was growing.

It was much like those doors in Deuteronomy, one leads to life and one leads
to death.  The strange thing is that the doors are very well marked.  No
mistake is possible.  Many white people in the South chose life but most of
the leaders chose death.  To be sure, choosing life is emotional; that's
because our deepest values are emotional issues with us.  The sin of keeping
people enslaved is emotional.  The slavers may taunt those who vote for
freedom as being emotional but those who would even defend slavery, much less
practice it, are also being emotional.  Part of their dysfunction is that they
must pretend to a strange machismo of the psyche.

Incidentally, in an earlier posting someone referred to the reluctance of some
of the ex-slaves to their new situation and even persistent opinion that the
old slave times were preferable.  It was sort of like the Israelis coming out
of the land of fleshpots.  Some weren't so sure.  Many of the slaves of Dixie
were dismissed from the plantations at war's end because it simply was not
profitable for the planters to keep them on.  These, now vagabonds, newly
freed illiterate blacks lined the roads in their trek north to find work.
They had only the clothes on their backs (few received 40 and a mule).  Some
died on the way but others made it to partly fuel the latter part of the
industrialization of America.

Most freed slaves far preferred their freedom but a few never obtained a
decent life and actually remembered their slavery as a better time.  Even with
the night patrols, the removal of thumbs for the crime of learning to read,
the forbiddance of prayer, and the merciless beatings when they took a bit of
extra nourishment, the commonplace forcible sex by massah and supervisors of
the slave women and, if these times are any guide, of boys and girls as well,
the fleshpots glowed in their remembrance.  Think of the filthy crimes
committed today for those fleshpots, the dismemberment of companies along with
massive disruption in lives, the unnecessary wars in Vietnam, Panama, the
Gulf, Grenada, Somalia.  Freedom came in second when we overthrew democracies
in Iran, Guatemala, Chile and installed criminal governments.  Man, how do we
free ourselves of this sort of blindness?

Jerry