Remote Viewing

An Interview with

Lyn Buchanan

Remote Viewing is a fascinating subject of human potential which has captivated the attention of Lyn Buchanan for many years. Mr. Buchanan is considered a leading expert on the topic and for years has used his skills to assist the military, US government and various police departments on numerous projects. Since his retirement from the military he has devoted much of his time in using his talents in finding missing children. This article is a combination of an interview and some responses to questions that had been prepared prior to our time together. I am grateful to Mr. Buchanan for his generous efforts in making this article possible.

Hilary Thomas

HT: What is Remote Viewing?

LB: First of all, I would make a strong distinction between "Remote Viewing" (RV) and "Controlled Remote Viewing" (CRV). "Controlled Remote Viewing" (CRV) stands for a single, very scientific method for training non-psychic people to do the same work as a natural, gifted psychic. It was researched, developed and used by the US government from the late 1970s through the early 1990s to gain military and political intelligence against foreign targets.

"Remote Viewing", on the other hand, is nothing more than the New Age term for "psychic". It has so many definitions that it has come to have no definite meaning. It can stand for hundreds of different methods and practices, all of which fall under the more familiar term, psychic.

The CRV name is the proprietary property of Mr. Ingo Swann, and may only be used with his permission. Recently, though, many people have begun using "remote viewing" with some other first word in front of it. So, instead of "Controlled Remote Viewing", you get "Scientific Remote Viewing" or "Technical Remote Viewing" or some other type of "remote viewing". It only means that the person is teaching/doing psychic work according to a set of rules he made up. Some even say that their set of rules are derivatives or "improvements upon" the Ingo Swann method. This gives them the opportunity to use Mr. Swann's name and thereby subliminally tie themselves to him in the reader's mind. The fact still stands that they are being less than honest and what they are training is not Controlled Remote Viewing. The public must be careful about this point.

A plain vanilla "remote viewer", then, is pretty well the equivalent of " a psychic" of one form or another. Now, that is not to say that there aren't some very good and talented people who are using the term. It does say something about them, though. It says that they do not understand the basic terms for what they are doing for a living. There is a simple test for a person who calls him/herself a remote viewer: remember that when a person says he is a remote viewer, it means by definition that he is not a natural psychic, but had to be trained. If he tells you that he is a "natural remote viewer" or that he has been remote viewing since he was a child, or that he has been "remote viewing for 20-30-40 years." You can be sure that, at best, he doesn't know his subject well enough to know the proper words to use. At worst, he is out to get your money.

There is a lot of misinformation and outright disinformation flying around. It has been really confusing for new people to find reliable information simply because there is so much bad information. Therefore, throughout this interview, I would like to talk about Controlled Remote Viewing, since that is what I have learned, what I do, and what I teach others to do. The things I say will not necessarily apply to "remote viewing" in its meaning of "psychic".

So, back to your original question: "What is Controlled Remote Viewing?" Controlled Remote Viewing, or "CRV", is the name of a specific, highly structured scientific methodology which develops and utilizes a non-psychic person's ability to gain information without the aid of the normal senses, without logical deduction, without the use of devices, electronics, photos, etc.

In the beginning, the people at Stanford Research Institute wanted to separate this scientific process from the word "psychic" as that word had so many definitions that it had no meaning either. They came up with the term, "remote viewing". As soon as this method gained scientific acceptance, everyone jumped on the bandwagon and all kinds of people started calling themselves "remote viewers". Ingo Swann came along and said, ‘Just give me the coordinates of any place and I’ll tell you what's there.’ He started the protocol of always giving the coordinates of a location at the beginning of a session and using that as the only information given to a viewer. The wannabes countered with the statement that they, too, could use coordinates and therefore they, too, were "coordinate remote viewers". Finally, Ingo came up with the term, "Controlled Remote Viewing". He believed that the word "controlled" is one thing that natural psychics and others would tend to stay away from. This didn't turn out to be the case, though. It's a zoo out there. It really is.

HT: How does CRV differ from psychic or clairvoyant experiences?

LB: In several ways: First of all, CRV is a learned activity, whereas psychic and clairvoyance are the use of natural abilities. Second, CRV can be learned by almost everyone, whereas natural abilities are either there or they aren't. Third, CRV, believe it or not, is a physical, not a mental activity. Fourth, CRV is done wide-awake, whereas most of the psychic or clairvoyant methods are done in some kind of trance or altered state. There are several other differences, but those four are the most prominent.

HT: Can you talk more about remote viewing being a physical activity?

LB: Basically, the conscious and subconscious minds don't talk to each other but, they do talk to the body. If you can develop a physical language then you have an interpreter. Therefore, if we develop a physically oriented interpretive language, we can let the body act as a "translator" to convey questions from the conscious mind to the subconscious, and bring back the answers in the same manner.

HT: What are you defining as a physical language?

LB: As a beginning student, you start with certain conceptual words, Gestalt words like: land, water, motion, living things, etc. The beginning student makes the most minimal line drawing possible on a sheet of paper whenever they hear that word. For example, for the word "land", most people draw a flat line across the paper and for the word "water" they draw a wavy line. An ideogram is a graphic representation of an idea which must be performed on a purely automatic basis. It is similar to the discipline of Karate. You have to get your moves to where you don't have to think about them. So, you go through what is called, "ideogram drills. These are long, boring drills where the words are called out to you and you make your mark on the paper that corresponds to that cue. After a while, you tune out because it is so boring, and then your subconscious mind is performing the drill. That is when the practice is most effective.

HT: So, you build a language?

LB: You build a purely physical language. Right. Pretty soon, it gets to the point where you can say to the viewer, "I have a target. The target number is 93. Describe it." The hand of the viewer will automatically draw an ideogram, for example, a straight line and a wavy line. It's like a knee jerk reaction where the subconscious is telling you the basic Gestalts of that site. You can then consciously look down and say, "Oh, there is land and water at this site."