Subj:    Attack of the Dung Beetles - electricity  [Important.  Read this one!]
Date:   99-01-08 13:41:09 EST
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tony Toews)
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In comp.software.year-2000, "Bobbi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
     [Ok, this one starts off a bit slow but it gets real interesting.  Six
months to put in a new crucial subsystem.  Umm, what if the only two vendors
in the world now have a twelve month backlog?   Also note the "...local
municipal utility, who supplies our back up power, ... [doesn't] believe in
Y2K I was told." Tony]

(Note: this was sent by my husband who is Operations Manager of a power plant,
to several of his colleagues and friends.  I am posting it for general info.)

You know, I've been interested in this Y2K crap for a while now, as a kind of
fantasy "Doomsday" scenario.  Planet of the Apes, Conan the Barbarian, make a
new go of it, all the good stuff.  Being the instigator that I am, I liked  to
throw it out there it and see what kind of reaction I would get.  Good study
of people.

The wife and I were preparing for a disruption in services, like the ice storm
we had here last year.  Folks around here didn't have power for a month.  No
water.  The local comminutes ran shelters, fuel and food rationing happened,
restricted travel, National Guard, that kind of thing.

What goes around comes around.

At work I got tasked from on high with fixing the "Y2K Problem."  No sweat.
The only thing that I figured would be goofy would be some software, mostly in
accounting, other people interfaced stuff, and the older desktop computers.
They needed to be replaced anyway. We and the World could muddle through.

The major portion of the plants controls, (remember? I work at a fairly new
power plant) although computer operated, were a different breed of machine,
and care nothing about the date, they merely control their specific machine
and send info to the plants main control computer, which operates valves and
various other support devices for the main processes. No big deal.
Investigation into the plant's main control computers also showed that it was
no big deal, the only thing that (reportedly) would go wrong was some trending
functions, which allow us to "look in the past" ( I am the master of the run-
on sentence... On a dark and stormy night...)

Checking some 40 odd control systems and over 400 circuit cards nothing
showed.  So far, so good. No indication of Y2K failures.  Oh, I've got 2
systems, besides the trending thing, to software de-bug, but they only look to
see if a pump has been running for a week straight, if so, the program shifts
to the standby pump. Once again, no big deal.

I am now down to the "stuff you never think about " level. Embedded chips.
Supposedly the real crux of the matter.

It seems to me that if the embedded chip doesn't have a people to machine
interface, a read out of some sort, or operate on a calendar of some kind,
such as: I haven't been serviced in 6 months so I will shut down function,
then how could it know or even care, what today's date is ?

Silly boy.

I ran into a doosey of an "embedded chip."  Three of them as a matter of fact.
The only three I have looked at so far.  This does not bode well...

Doosey # 1:  The plants phone system will not work. The manufacture of the
chip says so.  The rest of the system will, but if the brains of the systems
don't, what part will?  The manufacturer doesn't support this system anymore
even though it was built in 1992.

Doosey # 2:  The meter which reads the total power output of the plant will
not work.  Who would check a simple meter?  Here is the good part:  This meter
masquerades as a simple output meter, but in reality it sends a signal to the
supplementary firing system which controls the Steam Turbine portion of the
plant. 36 million watts worth.  For $ 95.00  we can get the meter upgraded to
Y2K OK status.  Consider it done.

Doosey # 3: The best one. The gas turbine's (the main source of power & heat
for this plant and most power plants built in the last 15 years...) fire
suppression system central processing unit will not work.  The card
manufacturer says "We never built anything like that," but I'm looking at the
card...and they are sending me a test program for the "card we never built."
I went to the manufacturer of the CPUs web site and by gosh, it ain't going to
work... Once again, if the brains of the system are not going to work, what
part will?  That's not the best part.  If the fire suppression system is down,
the Gas Turbine will not start.  If the Gas Turbine is running on Y2K date
roll-over, the Gas Turbine will shut down.  Violently.  If the Gas Turbine is
not running, the rest of the plant will not be running.  NO POWER to the grid.
We could send a false signal to the Gas Turbine to indicate that the fire
suppression system is OK, but what would our insurance carrier have to say
about that?

It appears that I will have to have a whole new fire suppression system system
installed, and that will take at least 6 months to do.  On top of the pain in
the ass factor of specifying the thing, I'll have to convince the Boss to
spend the bucks to do it (at least $ 20,000 and 1~2 weeks that the plant will
have to be shut down). Thats after it fails its Y2k test, like the
manufacturer says it will. Crap.

This Power plant is fairly new, and one would expect things like this to
happen.  On older plants, we've got no problem you say?  Wrong-oh.  All plants
are constantly being repaired, replaced, upgraded.  The manufacturer of choice
for the utilities, (company name withheld), has major Y2K problems.  Not
counting the embedded chip thing.

I called the local municipal utility, who supplies our back up power, to
inquire about their Y2K status.  They don't believe in Y2K I was told... They
are doing nothing. They won't have a problem.  I was told this this by their
Chief Engineer.  He also said he was taking all his money out of the bank by
December next year.

Kids, I think we are in the crapper.

Bobbi
--
Y2K -- Where are we now? Where are we going?"
      http://www.buzzbyte.com/

---------------------------------------
Additional comments later

The municipal electric company mentioned (not named) is a small local village-
owned cooperative that serves about 15 - 20,000 people.

People in the industry, who run the power plants talk to each other
constantly, and according to my husband, lots of things like this are cropping
up all the time.

He knows of another plant where the entire main control computer has to be
replaced or that plant will not run. They haven't even started to replace it
yet.

It's real.

More comments later

Okay, listen guys...just listen.....

Ready?

My husband works for an independent power plant - KEY WORD = independent.  He
doesn't work at a utility.  The municipal utility Chief Engineer he talked to
does indeed exist.  For reasons pounded into the ground already here, we
aren't giving names.  Period.

We are in northern NY state.  That close enough?  That's as close as we are
gonna give as to location....for now.

The engineer he talked with said what was quoted/paraphrased in the letter. As
for the "taking money outta the bank" part...I dunno, it's what the guy said!
Period.

The plant my hubby works in is not providing electricity to the community - at
the present time.  They used to sell power to a *big* utility in NY state
which I am sure everyone has heard of.  But they don't anymore due to contract
re-negotiations and other reasons (too political for me). They basically don't
even run very often any more ....for now.  They may be running *a lot* if
asked to fill in for utilities that can't, etc....who knows?  This is why
hubby's working so hard to try and ensure that they *can* run without
troubles.

Anyway, hubby really didn't want me to post it. I nagged and he finally said
"oh go ahead". It was a personal letter to friends and colleagues he knows
*very* well.  So...maybe I shouldn't have...but be that as it may...what's
done is done.

Now....if his plant doesn't run, it won't mean the community is without power.
BUT... if the municipal company he talked with doesn't run, it *will* mean a
community without power (about 15-20,000 some people). We do not live in that
particular community.  We live about 20 miles away in a different community
(LOL...and our huge utility isn't doin so hot according to what I read).

So, that being explained....the letter was just posted for general
informational purposes, not to try and stir up *shit.*  Honest.

Hubby is frustrated because he reads and hears "all will be well" and he knows
it won't. He knows it will be "rough going" because if his little (and it is
small compared to the larger utilities) power plant won't run because of the
few problems he has found -- another key word here -- SO FAR, what about the
bigger guys?  That's all.

No big "whistle blowing" going on here.

Simply trying to disseminate info.  Plain and simple...that's it. And now, I
am kicking myself for even trying to do *this.*  Man oh man some of you people
are unbelievably dense.  Not you Whit....not you. :-)

They know who they are.

As for 10Q...well....I cannot find the local municipal utility on the resource
listing I have. I also cannot find this same municipal utility on a web search
(apparently they have no web site either).  I cannot find them listed
anywhere.  Go figure.  As for hubby's company, well.....nothing listed for
them either.  They have a web site but nothing mentioned at all about Year
2000 stuff.

Well, 'nuff said for now.

Bobbi

     [More comments.  Note that one particular person who feels Y2K is a non
event is severely criticizing Bobbi's postings.  Tony]

       <snip>
>(Bobbi, when was the last time this vaporous plant ran?  What
>is the output of the plant at peak operation?)  Very good news.
>We still cannot confirm one single fact of the story, now can we?

Plant last ran in Oct 98.  Output is 3 times what the entire county can use.
(that is all my husband would tell me after reading all the junk that came out
after I posted his letter) LOL. I don't care who believes it or not actually.
It was just posted for general information.

>Bobbi now admits that the number of people dependent on the
>power plant in question is 0, but refuses to tell us the name
>of the village with a clueless municipal power operation.  I
      <snip>

Well, hubby says he is "on them" and will continue to be.  What he does with
this info is his decision.  I am just the messenger (gawd...I HATE being the
messenger).

As he says, there's a bunch of people in authority over the municipal
electrical system, who are not even looking because "the only computer we have
just looks at voltage and load."  And he's gonna let you guys jump up and down
on them when they haven't even yet realized they really might have a problem?
I don't think so.  They haven't even yet accepted the fact that they have to
inventory and assess their system.  They are complete DGIs. Really.

So, hubby will work on this in his way and hopefully, will accomplish getting
them to at least open their eyes.  That's all he can do.  BTW these guys don't
generate, they just distribute. (hope that clears *that* one up).

Dear bks, If you really want to hear something inflammatory, husband just told
me that his fuel supplier is talking about "bugging out" and heading for
Mexico!

Bobbi
Subj:   Re: Attack of the Dung Beetles - electricity