-Caveat Lector-

---------------------- Forwarded by Lyn McCloskey/Towers Perrin on 01/11/99
04:41 PM ---------------------------

SCAN THIS NEWS

WorldNetDaily
FRIDAY JANUARY 08 1999

YOUR PAPERS, PLEASE

Bar-coded IDs for students, teachers
Controversy erupts in rural West Virginia

By David M. Bresnahan

¦ 1999 WorldNetDaily.com

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_exnews/19990108_xex_barcoded_ids.sh
tml

A stubborn teacher and a small group of students and parents in a rural
high school are saying no to a policy in which every faculty member and
pupil are required to wear a visible ID tag, complete with picture and
bar code.

They are standing in the community of Elkins, West Virginia, on
religious grounds and are being treated with scoffs and ridicule by some
school officials. One school board member has even left threats on his
answering machine to use "satanic power" on his critics.

Randolph County School District has implemented the use of ID tags that
incorporate a photo and bar code at Elkins High School. Students,
faculty, and employees must wear the tags on a cord around their necks
in plain view at all times.

Philip Hudok, a physics and chemistry teacher with 22 years of service
has taken a firm stand that he will not wear the tags. He says the ID
tags wrongfully assign numbers to people, which, he says, the Bible
warns against.

"I sent letters to the administration prior to the first day of
implementation that I could not and would not be able to participate in
the ID badge program. I refused on religious grounds and a Nazi-like,
'papers please' mindset," explained Hudok.

In addition to pointing out references to the "Mark of the Beast" in the
Book of Revelation, Hudok also cites Chronicles Chapter 21. A portion of
it reads, "1: And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to
number Israel. 7: And God was displeased with this thing; therefore he
smote Israel." Article 3, section 15 of the West Virginia Constitution
states: "... nor shall any man be enforced, restrained, molested or
burdened, in his body or goods, or otherwise suffer, on account of his
religious belief ... " Apparently the Randolph County School District
officials haven't read that provision.

Initially the principal, Tom Pritt, agreed to permit Hudok to wear a
badge of his own making. The handmade badge said simply, "EHS Physics
Teacher." Superintendent of Schools Glen Karlen has stated that the ID
tags are to provide for a safer school environment. He says they will
prevent violence in the school.

"The primary purpose of the ID system is to protect the students and the
staff. There is no intention to infringe on anybody's rights," Karlen
explained to the school board.

The tags give a visual means to determine if there is someone in the
school who should not be there. They are also used as admission to
school events and activities, and the bar code provides a cashless
payment system for school meals.

Police and drug-sniffing dogs were not wearing the authorized visitor's
passes of the school when they conducted a failed drug raid on Nov. 19.
Hudok complained to the school board about the event.

Students were selected at random and lined up against walls while dogs
sniffed them for drugs. Hudok and students claim the dogs urinated on
students' personal belongings and in the halls. No drugs were found.

"Not so much as an apology has ever been issued," remarked Hudok.

[snip]

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_exnews/19990108_xex_barcoded_ids.sh
tml

[snip]

After an appearance on a talk radio show by Hudok, the school board and
administration has been flooded by calls. One school board member, Mark
Rizzio, was getting so many calls he left this message on his answering
machine:

"You have reached 666. If you would like to leave a message we will get
back to you as soon as possible. If that isn't quick enough we will use
our satanic powers to get back to you even sooner." "The school board
members' phone numbers are in the phone book, so I gave them out on the
air," said Hudok.

He believes the school board is trying to get the controversy to go
away. Not only did Karlen tell the press that the issue was settled when
it wasn't, on Thursday he canceled school after a small storm.

"Today was a snow day, but actually there wasn't that much snow," said
Hudok in a phone interview Thursday.

"I think they're trying to regroup and decide what they're going to do,"
he said.

Hudok now has some help on the way. The Rutherford Institute has agreed
to take on his case, and is planning a nationwide fund-raising campaign
to provide a legal defense fund.

What does the school administration think of Hudok's plans for national
attention to his cause?

"I think they're in a real frenzy down there," said Hudok.

David M. Bresnahan - Investigative Journalist
P.O. Box 1168, West Jordan, UT 84084-7168
off: (801) 562-5362
fax: (801) 562-1341
book orders: 800-338-8824
website: http://talkusa.com
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Contact information provided by:

THE FREEDOM NETWORK--TFN
http://www.scott.net/~dg

Elkins High School
100 Kennedy Drive
Elkins, WV 26241
(304)636-9170
Fax:(304)636-9168
Enrollment 1040

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.wvonline.com/ehs/

Pritt, Tom (Principal, Elkins High School)
Files Creek Rd
Elkins, WV
Last Verified: Aug 1997
(304)636-7585

Rizzio, Mark (School Board Member, Elkins High School)
Beverly, WV
Last Verified: Aug 1997
(304)636-4142

           Host of the "FIGHT THE FINGERPRINT!" web page:
                www.networkusa.org/fingerprint.shtml