-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Cohen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, December 23, 1998 1:20 PM
Subject: ALL: op ed article for Civil Action movie

>Dear Health Care Without Harm campaigners,
>
>below please find an op ed pice I write to accompany organizing around the
>film Civil Action. Feel free to use this piece however you wish and add
your
>name as a co-author if that helps out with local press. Gary

>The Need for Civic Action
>
>Many years have passed since the the wells of families in Woburn,
>Massachusetts were contaminated.
>
>At one level, the tragedy stands as a singular event in the history of the
>nation. In an average middle class town, seven children died from leukemia
>due to toxic chemicals in their drinking water. Lives were forever lost. A
>community was forever scarred. This story has been  powerfully captured in
>the book Civil Action by Jonathan Harr and has now been turned into a
>major Hollywood movie.
>
>But, in another way, Woburn has become a familiar script. It goes
>something like this: Multi-billion dollar company poisons community;
>people get sick and die; the company denies the problem as long as
>possible, hoping to use its money to outlast desperate families seeking
>justice from the violence perpetrated against them. When it seems the
>company may lose in court, it settles privately for a sum in exchange for a
>waiver on any future liability.
>
>This script has been repeated over the years - Love Canal, Bhopal,
>Jacksonville, DES daughters. The names of the companies are different, the
>outcomes are similar. Children's lives are just the cost of doing business.
>The world goes on. The companies gear up their public relations machines
>to recreate an image in which they bring "good things to life". Eventually
>the horror fades and is replaced by other images from our daily diet of
>horrors from other places.
>
>But what gets lost in the public's consciousness is the ubiquity of the
>chemical assault in communities across the country. There are hundreds of
>Woburns in the United States, where communities living next to chemical
>companies, paper mills, computer manufacturers, military bases, medical
>waste incinerators and toxic dumps suffer an array of health problems
>related to their toxics exposures. Worse still, when residents seek some
kind
>of justice from these exposures, they are stymied by a regulatory system so
>tragically compromised  that it regularly protects the rights of companies
>pollute rather than defending the public's health.  Contrary to the
>Republican Party's mantra on this subject, the problem is not too much
>government, but too much government serving the needs of industry.
>
>The public health crisis extends well beyond individual communities and
>their polluting corporate neighbors. The reality is that there is no place
to go
>to escape this toxics nightmare.  Here are some facts to highlight the
>problem:

> [...]

!end
=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Louisiana Environmental Telegraph | http://envirotel.org
Question? http://envirotel.org/faq.htm
=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

http://members.xoom.com/ThePiedPiper/Intro2.htm
1. Take the 60-day No Aspartame Test and send us your case history.
Mission Possible International
5950-H State Bridge Rd. #215            Duluth, GA 30097 USA
2. Tell your doctor and all of your friends!
3. Return Asparcidal food to the store.
(anything with Monsanto's NutraSweet/Equal/Spoonful/Benevia/NatraTaste)
VISIT http://www.dorway.com Get links to over 30 sites on aspartame
VISIT http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/ ..FAQs & Cases
VISIT http://www.notmilk.com Exposing Bovine Growth Hormone
           Disability and Death are not acceptable costs of business!