-Caveat Lector-

nurev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mike Moxley wrote:
> >
> >  -Caveat Lector-
> >
> > Libertarians: The Cult of Liberty
> > by Mike Moxley
> >
> > Libertarians claim to be the promoters and defenders of Liberty in the
> > truest sense of the intentions of the founding fathers of our nation.  Is
> > this so?
> >
> > To the Libertarian, the ULTIMATE VALUE of Libertarianism is Liberty,
rather
> > than Liberty being the result of a moral government of, by, and for a
moral
> > people.
>
> Up until this point Moxley has it right. The rest is crap.
>
> > The morality being based in religious principle.  The founders knew
> > that morality could not exist outside of religious principle:
> >
> > "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is
> > wholly inadequate to the government of any other."-John Adams
>
> That was his opinion. The founders knew how corrosive was the power of
> organized religion and always tried to keep it weak in regard to the
> state while allowing individual use of religious addiction to
> supernatural
> nonsense.

"The clergy...believe that any portion of power confided to me [as President]
will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they
believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility
against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. But this is
all they have to fear from me: and enough, too, in their opinion." --Thomas
Jefferson to Benjamin Rush, 1800.

See http://etext.virginia.edu/jefferson/quotations/

Bob

=================================
Robert F. Tatman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Remove "nospam" from the address to reply.

NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed
without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included
information for research and educational purposes. For
more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

POSTING THIS MESSAGE TO THE INTERNET DOES NOT IMPLY PERMISSION TO SEND UNSOLICITED
COMMERCIAL E-MAIL (SPAM) TO THIS OR ANY OTHER INTERNET ADDRESS. RECEIPT OF SPAM WILL
RESULT IN IMMEDIATE NOTIFICATION OF THE SENDER'S ISP.