Yikes.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, January 19, 1999 3:57 PM
Subject: [InTheShadows] [fwd: Nuclear Detonation??? [unconfirmed]]]

Virginia Raines wrote:

>  Someone sent me this report.  Did anyone hear anything else about this?
>
>  >
>  > Nuclear Detonation Detected In Iran

No, but I just found this story from the day before
the possible detonation:

Earthquake Jolts Iranian Province

Saturday, January 16, 1999; 10:09 a.m. EST

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) -- An earthquake with a 5.3 magnitude rocked
several towns in northwestern Iran, the Islamic Republic News Agency
reported Saturday.

It said the quake, which occurred late Friday, jolted the cities of
Baneh in Kurdistan province, Sardasht, Piranshahr, Oshnaviyeh and
Mahabad in West Azerbaijan province.

There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties from the quake,
which also shook parts of northern Iraq, the agency said.

A 5.3 magnitude earthquake can cause considerable damage in populated
areas.

Iran is prone to earthquakes and experiences thousands of small tremors
every year.

© Copyright 1999 The Associated Press

This could be interesting.

Ed

>  >
>  > By Dave Franchesca
>  > .c The Associated Press
>  >
>  > WASHINGTON (Jan. 17) -- Satellites have detected numerous signs of a
>  > major
>  > impact located in the hills of northwestern Iran. "We are pretty sure
>  > that this
>  > was an intended nuclear explosion" Jody Birmingham said, a spokeswoman
>  > for the
>  > Department of Enhanced Satellite Technology. When questioned by the
>  > press, The
>  > White House had no comment, nor did The Pentagon. Iranian officials have
>  > declined to speak with The Associated Press. So far, human casualties or
>  > structural damage is unknown. More information will be supplied when
>  > further
>  > information is available.
>  >
>  > ..NewsOrInfo..
>  >
>  > "Supplying you with News Or Information since January 17, 1999, 4:00 PM
>  > PST"

>           Get stock quotes on your own site. Visit Stockpoint
>                        http://www.stockpoint.com
>
> eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/fpe
> Free Web-based e-mail groups by www.eGroups.com

HOW LOW CAN YOU GO?  How does a 2.9% intro APR Visa sound?
Transfer your balances from other high rate credit cards and save!
Learn more at http://offers.egroups.com/click/205/1

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/fpe