-Caveat Lector-

On 20 Jan 99, , Linda wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> TOBACCO LITIGATION
>

> [01/20] Clinton announces plans to sue tobacco companies
> WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Justice Department is planning a lawsuit against
> tobacco companies to recover the costs to the federal government of
> smoking-related illnesses, President Clinton said Tuesday night.
>
> ``Taxpayers shouldn't pay for the cost of lung cancer, emphysema and other
> smoking-related illnesses. The tobacco companies should,'' Clinton said in a
> surprise announcement in his State of the Union speech.

As a smoker, I note that, in the past two years, the price of a carton of cigarettes
has
gone up about $4.Soon their will be an additional tax added, which will add another
couple of bucks. . Which means that the tobacco companies are not paying. The
consumer pays.

Although I've never tried it, I think you can get a hit of crack cheaper than a pack of
cigarettes. And soon a pack of cigarettes will cost about the same as heroin. I'm an
adult. But I understand that it will soon be  easier--and less risky--and cheaper for a
teenager to get hard drugs than a pack of cigarettes.

That's real progress.
sno0wl