-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.thenoiseroom.com/egypt/giza7.htm
<A HREF="http://www.thenoiseroom.com/egypt/giza7.htm">The Noise Room - The
Latest From Giza - 29th No </A>
-----

The Latest From Giza
Updated : 29th November 1998

Whilst on the Stars and Signs Tour we were able to find out first hand
all of the latest goings on. Here therefore is the information we
discovered.

As most people are probably aware the Great Pyramid at Giza is still
closed to the general public. We were able to enter with special
permission one evening and could see exactly what work has been going on
since March.

The Grand Gallery was still being cleaned when we entered and the
ladders and cleaning materials were more than evident. We can also
confirm that new electrical cables have been installed for upgraded
lighting systems within the pyramid. These steel wire armoured cables do
indeed run up into small access ways - photographs of which can be seen
on many other websites depicted as power sources for new secret
excavations. These cables are however to power the upgraded lighting
system, ventilation system (which has been viscously installed into one
of the star shafts) and the Closed Circuit Television system which is
present in both the King’s and Queen’s Chambers.

In the King’s Chamber it was noted by Michael Baigent (author of The
Exilier and The Stone and Ancient Traces) that the part of the ‘lid’ of
the ‘sarcophagus’ is no longer present.

It should also be noted that we had full run of the pyramid and could
not find any evidence of ‘secret excavations’.

We were lucky enough to have a special lecture followed by a question
and answer session with Dr Zahi Hawass. At this lecture he confirmed
that the ‘door’ in the star shaft would be opened in a live
international broadcast on New Years Eve / Day 1999/2000. He also
confirmed that the pyramid would indeed receive a golden capstone (he
refused to call it a benben) on New Years Eve and that Jean Michel Jarre
would indeed play a concert for the millennium.

Dr Hawass also stated that they intend to remove all camel and horse
riders / traders from the Giza plateau in the near future. He also
restated his commitment to close the pyramids in rotation to enable
continued restoration. He also pointed out that it was his desire to
close the monuments permanently and enable visitors to ‘virtually’ enter
them with the aid of IMAX films.

Robert Bauval, Graham Hancock and John Anthony West were involved in a
fairly lengthy and at times heated (although still with the new found
respect and friendliness) debate with Dr Hawass for a special
documentary for South African Television along with another for Americas
Fox Network.

Unfortunately Bauval and Hancock were unable to dive off of the harbour
at Alexandria to see the newly discovered finds due to bad weather and
illness of the dive leader. This is being rescheduled for a later date.

On a more general note, now is an ideal time to visit Egypt as the
number of tourists is greatly reduced after the trouble earlier in the
year. Although security is tight it is reassuring rather than
oppressive.

Finally from the eyes of us here, virgin visitors to Egypt, we cannot
recommend enough a trip to this fabulous country. By reading this you
are showing a genuine interest in the place and its fascinating history.
Its splendours cannot be imagined by viewing them on a monitor or in a
book, the only way to learn and discover is to visit.

The Noise Room would like to thank Robert Bauval and all at Quest Travel
(Mohammed Nazmy, Medhat, Bassam El Shamma and Imil) for this incredible
opportunity and for looking after us so well.

Well what did you think ? More to come soon so keep your bookmark in
place.

Why not E-mail
us and tell us what you think
-----