Papal visit, presidential bull

by columnist Rob Morse
San Francisco Examiner, Jan. 28, 1999

     Pope John Paul II met with Bill Clinton and didn't whack his
hand with a ruler.
     That's the take most news organizations had on Tuesday's
meeting of the world leader of Catholicism and the world's most
famous sinner.
     That didn't surprise me, because the pope is concerned with
higher moral issues than those that concern hypocritical home
wrecker Henry Hyde.
     What surprised me was the stark political contrast between
these two world leaders.  On all but one very important issue,
the Democratic president is the conservative, and the pope is the
progressive.
     In every way but one, the pope has the same political
program as the Bay Guardian and the Nation magazine.
     In every way but one, not counting his own impeachment, Bill
Clinton is a Republican fellow-traveler.
     The pope is against the death penalty. The president is in
favor of it. He's even used lethal injection as a tool for
election.
     While he was running for president in 1992, then-Gov.
Clinton denied clemency for a brain-damaged cop-killer named
Rickey Ray Rector, and even left the campaign trail to go back to
Arkansas for the execution.
     The pope is against the bombing of Iraq. The president is
ordering the bombings, which have had excellent political timing,
but sometimes poor accuracy.
     This week 11 civilians were killed by errant bombs. The
Clinton administration said it was Iraq's fault. At least they
didn't try to redefine "killed."
     The pope backed the worldwide treaty banning land mines,
signed by 122 countries. The president refused to sign it.
     The pope wants the United States to lift sanctions against
Cuba. The president won't.
     The pope has lectured against the evils of  "exploitative
capitalism."  The president has fought for big business and a
global economy that sends jobs across borders to the cheapest
labor.
     The pope has fought against "every form of violence,"
including  "the violence of poverty and hunger."  The president
threw the poor off welfare.
     The pope has spoken out against "the culture of
selfishness."  The president is the poster boy for selfishness.
     Clinton risked his family and the Democratic Party for a
few goatish moments with a nubile intern, and then convinced his
cabinet members to repeat his untrue denials to save his hide.
     The pope and Clinton do agree on a few things. Like the
pope, Clinton and his wife have called on young people to use
abstinence as a mainstay against unwanted pregnancy.
     Clinton himself has another method of preventing pregnancy,
but however you define it, it's not abstinence.
     That brings us to the one big issue that gets the pope
defined as a conservative, and Clinton defined as a liberal:
abortion.
     It's also the issue that has kept Clinton from being
forced to walk the gangplank onto Marine One and fly away to his
place in history and continuing prosecution by Ken Starr.
     Clinton is in favor of women's right to abortion, so we
liberals, leftists, feminists, civil-libertarians and suckers
can't allow the anti-abortion fanatics on the right to drive him
out of office.
     Thus we have the sight of feminists defending a president
who cheated on St. Hillary by messing around with a 21-year-old
intern in the Oval Office. Thus the cognitive dissonance among
all us liberal Clinton dislikers.
     We know he's a sleaze in many ways, and now we have to
defend him even though he had sleazy sex with a subordinate
almost as young as his daughter.
     He did it while Ken Starr was trying to find any reason to
nail the pasty presidential skin to the wall.
     We have to defend Clinton because his enemies are bigger
jerks than he is. They want to chain women to the Hotpoint, put
gays in religious re-education camps and teach social Darwinism,
but not Darwinism.
     That's what they'd do right after they finish wrecking our
political system, and outraging our sense of fairness, just to
ruin a president who represents everything they don't like.
     To them, Clinton represents the '60s.  For me, Clinton
simply represents old-fashioned amoral electoral politics, the
kind we repudiated in the '60s.
     The Republicans won't be able to nail him because he's
better at that game than they are.
     If anyone represents the '60s, it's his fanatical opponents.
They're like the Weather Underground, willing to blow up anything
to make a symbolic point, even if they destroy themselves.
     I'm not a Catholic or a Clintonite, but I find much to
admire in both the pope and the president - yes, the president.
     Anybody who can survive what Clinton has been through for
the last six years has the kind of moxie it takes to be president
in bad times. Too bad the Republicans had to invent bad times for
him, and for us.
     It's nice that Clinton and the pope got together in these
times, but here's what really ticks me off. Clinton actually used
sin to promote himself.
     "People still need to hear your message that all are God's
children, all have fallen short of His glory," he told the pope.
     This is a president who once outraged the Vatican by
taking Holy Communion even though he's not a Catholic.  Maybe he
should try the confessional too.
     How many Hail Marys do you have to say for using God's name
for shameless self-promotion?