-Caveat Lector-

>Please share the following with everyone.
>
>Here is a statement from the White House:
>

>THE WHITE HOUSE
>Office of the Press Secretary
>
>For Immediate Release January 29, 1999
>
>TEXT OF A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT
>TO THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
>AND THE PRESIDENT OF THE SENATE
>
>January 29, 1999
>

>Dear Mr. Speaker: (Dear Mr. President:)
>Consistent with section 6001(a) of the Resource Conservation and
>Recovery Act (RCRA) (the "Act"), as amended, 42 U.S.C. 6961(a),
>notification is hereby given that on September 25, 1998, I issued
>Presidential Determination No. 98-36 (copy attached) and thereby
>exercised the authority to grant certain exemptions under section
>6001(a) of the Act.
>Presidential Determination No. 98-36 exempted the United States Air
>Force's operating location near Groom Lake, Nevada, from any Federal,
>State, interstate, or local hazardous or solid waste laws that might
>require the disclosure of classified information concerning that
>operating location to unauthorized persons. Information concerning
>activities at the operating location near Groom Lake has been properly
>determined to be classified, and its disclosure would be harmful to
>national security. Continued protection of this information is,
>therefore, in the paramount interest of the United States.
>The determination was not intended to imply that in the absence of a
>Presidential exemption, RCRA or any other provision of law permits or
>requires the disclosure of classified information to unauthorized
>persons. The determination also was not intended to limit the
>applicability or enforcement of any requirement of law applicable to
>the Air Force's operating location near Groom Lake except those
>provisions, if any, that would require the disclosure of classified
>information.
>Sincerely,
>
>WILLIAM J. CLINTON
>
># # #
>

>--------------------
>
>THE WHITE HOUSE
>Office of the Press Secretary
>__________________________
>********************************
>
>Comments:
>
>The 'government' still continues to use the ambiguous (and meaningless)
phrase >"operating location  near Groom Lake".   It is a base and not
just a location. > It is not "near" Groom Lake.  The base is right there
at Groom Lake!! Why >can't they come out and say that the base is right
there at Groom Lake!! >Even though the term AREA 51 signifies the
geographical jurisdiction of the >Department of Energy (DOE) and not the
Air Force, the fact of the matter is
>that the Air Force controls the operations at the site.   So, why not
come out >clean and name the base Groom Lake/Area 51 facility!!

>We urge all concerned citizens, once again, to attend the upcoming
People's >Rally at AREA 51 this June 6, 1999.