Subject: World Of The Strange 2/1/99 Part 1 of 2
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (SHnSASSY1)
Date: Mon, Feb 1, 1999 10:16 AM

  Providing a comprehensive view of many paranormal subjects

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED:  (permission is granted to reproduce or redistribute this
edition provided that attribution is made to the Author or Authors noted)

 Visit our WEB Site: http://www.jb-graphics.com/thestrange

 To Subscribe or Unsubscribe please follow directions at the end of this
newsletter

 Distributed & Edited by; Louise A. Lowry [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 If you are missing any parts of (WOTS) please let me know which part by
 contacting me at [EMAIL PROTECTED], and I will make sure you get the
 part that is missing.

*************************
 The newsletter...

EDITORS NOTE: February 8th is the dead line for your articles to enter into
the
writing contest, if you need any information on this contest please contact me
and I will send it out ASAPor visit the WOTS web site and read the 1/4/99
issue..Also a special note, I have push the date to February 22nd as the
contest winners edition. This was due to the fact of some large articles and
giving me a bit more time to contact the winners and shipping out their
prize...

Part 1 of 2
#####################
CONTENTS
#1. Men In Black A Preliminary Report by Robert Bull  Part 1 of a Series
of 3           ([EMAIL PROTECTED])   British UFO Research
Association -           http://www.bufora.org.uk
    INSERTS> Introducing Men In Black / The Albert K. Bender Case / The
New     Haven Firebal l/ The Closedown / Bender Interviewed / The Last
Issue of     Space Review / Maury Island / An Australian Connection? /
Bender Tells All? /     Early Signs / The Nightmare Begins / Revelations
/ Fantasy and Paranoia? /     The Last Days of the IFSB / Women in White
/ Bender is Freed
#2. The Deadly Magic of Believing
#3. February's Award Of Excellence From World Of The Strange!
#####################

#1. Men In Black A Preliminary Report by Robert Bull  Part 1 of a Series of 3
([EMAIL PROTECTED])  British UFO Research Association - http://www.
bufora.org.uk

Published by
British UFO Research Association (BUFORA) Ltd
BM BUFORA
London WC1N 3XX

All Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced or
transmitted without the written permission of BUFORA Ltd.

WOTS Editor; My thanks goes out to Robert Bull and BUFORA for most indepth
article!

>Introducing Men In Black Men In Black

Also known as MIBs, are  mysterious characters who sometimes question,
threaten
and harass UFO witnesses and researchers.They dress in black suits (hence
their
appellation) and are usually described as having 'oriental' features. They
tend
to pose as military or secret service personnel, often producing (albeit
briefly) identity cards. They appear and behave in a way which leaves the
witness thinking that they are not human, although this impression usually
only
forms after the MIBs have left. MIBs are popularly described as: appearing in
threes travelling in large, black, old-model cars (usually Cadillacs in the
USA), which appear to be brand new and have untraceable registrations having
'dark' complexions appearing only rarely outside the USA possessing knowledge
known only to the witness. We shall see later that whilst some MIB cases
certainly do possess some or all of these characteristics, it is certainly not
true that the majority of such cases do. The most celebrated MIB case was that
reported by UFO investigator and author Albert K. Bender. In 1953 he was
allegedly 'silenced' by three MIBs.

This report is part of an ongoing project started in 1995 by the BUFORA
Research Committee.

>The Albert K. Bender Case

In April 1952 Albert K. Bender, a factory supervisor, aged 31, formed
the International Flying Saucer Bureau (IFSB), based in Bridgeport,
Connecticut. The
IFSB grew rapidly, soon having branches in 48 American states as well as
in other countries.

The IFSB suddenly closed down in September 1953. Bender claimed that he had
the
'secret' of flying saucers, which he wrote down as a thesis which he then
posted to a friend he felt he could trust.

The following day, Bender claims, he was visited by three men dressed in black
suits, one of whom had with him the thesis. Two of the men told Bender that
his
theory was essentially correct, and they filled him in on the missing details.
What the MIBs had to say so appalled Bender that he readily agreed to disband
the IFSB and do no more work on flying saucers; he also agreed to tell no-one
of his findings.

'They were pretty rough with me', Bender said. 'Two men did all the talking,
while another one kept watching all the time. He didn't take his eyes off me.
might add that I was terribly sick for three days after I saw those three men
and also frightened beyond reason.' Bender's wall of silence following the
visit convinced his friends that he was telling the truth.

Later, Bender claimed, he telephoned a friend and mentioned his theory and the
visit of the three men. Immediately after hanging up, the telephone rang. A
male voice said that he knew of Bender's conversation and that he had made a
'bad slip' and warned him to be more careful in future.

One of Bender's fellow researchers, a man who grew to be one of his closest
friends, was Gray Barker. Barker joined the IFSB as its West Virginia
representative soon after its formation in April 1952, becoming its Chief
Investigator in January 1953.

>The New Haven Fireball

Two other IFSB representatives, who were to play key roles in the saga that
was
about to unfold, were Dominick ('Dom') Lucchesi and August  ('Augie') Roberts.
Roberts it was who investigated a peculiar incident which took place on August
19th, 1953, the day when, according to certain pyramidologists who had been
poking around inside the Great Pyramid of Egypt, the world was due to end.

The residents of New Haven, Connecticut, probably thought that the prediction
had come true when a loud 'swoosh' was heard at about 9 pm. Buildings
trembled,
lights dimmed and one woman had a miscarriage as a result the disturbance.

There was only one witness to the cause of the disturbance, which was a red
ball of fire, six to eight inches in diameter, which crashed through a
signboard before continuing on its way, leaving a hole more than a foot wide
in
the 20-gauge steel of the sign.

Roberts, on arriving at the scene, pried loose from the edge of the hole a
sample of metal, obviously not part of the sign itself, which he sent to
Bender
for analysis. Bender never announced the results of the analysis, perhaps,
Barker speculated, because of subsequent events at the IFSB headquarters in
Bridgeport.

>The Closedown

September 16, 1953. Bender wrote a routine letter to Barker, praising Barker's
article for the next (October) issue of Space Review. The whole tone of the
letter seemed strange to Barker, seeming somewhat stilted and formal, not like
his friend's usual style at all. The third paragraph was the strangest part of
all: 'I do not know if I advised you or not, but do not accept any more
memberships until after the October issue of Space Review is in your hands.'

The next day Barker received a tape from Lucchesi, a verbal account of a
recent
telephone conversation that had taken place between Roberts and Bender. He
told
Roberts what Barker already new, that the next issue of Space Review would
somehow be significant.

Bender seemed reticent during the telephone conversation, but Roberts kept
pushing him until he finally blurted out: 'I know the secret of the disks!' He
added that 'three men' had visited him and had pledged him to silence.
Curiously, Bender claimed, the three men had confiscated all back issues of
Space Review, even though hundreds of copies of the magazine had already been
distributed to IFSB members world-wide.

Bender said that the three men had largely dictated the contents of the next
issue of  Space Review. He finished the call by telling Roberts that 'The
truth
is fantastic!'

>Bender Interviewed

On 4 October 1953, Bender agreed to meet Roberts and Lucchesi. He insisted
that
the conversation not be recorded in any way but, unbeknown to him, Roberts,
making the excuse of an upset stomach necessitating frequent visits to the
toilet, made notes.

The account is long and monotonous, and is not reproduced in full here. Some
of
Lucchesi's questions, and Bender's answers, are:

Q: When did the three men visit you?