Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 08:23:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Franklin Wayne Poley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SNET: Re: Movie on Conspiracy to Control Internet.

->  SNETNEWS  Mailing List

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> << The Pentagon lost control of the net long ago.  How could they close
>  the privately owned servers in New Zealand, Italy, Japan, Brazil and
>  Finland?  If we wanted to close the net, the US could use harsh
>  language or threaten to go to war.  I doubt the US military could
>  close the net even if we brought all of our influence and resources to
>  bear.  We could probably cut most of the wires to the Internet at the
>  US borders.  If we did, the rest of the world would get along just
>  fine without the US.  It wouldn't take long the civilized world to
>  regroup. >>
>
> I found the following blurb on a VERY interesting site. It also had quite a
> bit to say about the NRA, right-wing extremists and many other groups.
>
> Lynell
>
> <<The Internet can also serve counterintelligence purposes. For example, a
> message posted recently in an Internet discussion group for left-wing
> political activists repeated for their benefit an Associated Press article
> about an upcoming U.S. Army Special Operations Command training exercise
> directed at the (empty) St. Moritz Hotel in Miami Beach (see Appendix C).
>
> If it became widely known that DoD were monitoring Internet traffic for
> intelligence or counterintelligence purposes, individuals with personal
> agendas or political purposes in mind, or who enjoy playing pranks, would
> deliberately enter false or misleading messages. Our analysis function would
> need to account for this.>>
>
>  <A HREF="http://www.fas.org/cp/swett.html">Strategic Assessment: The Internet
> </A>
>
> http://www.fas.org/cp/swett.html

Let's put this forward as a "thesis" and see if it has any merit. The
internet is a system used to control the thinking of the masses while
maintaining the illusion that they are engaging in free expression. Could
the Pentagon have foreseen that when they created the (D)ARPA net? Well,
it is their job to foresee such things.
FWP.

-> Send "subscribe   snetnews " to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
->  Posted by: Franklin Wayne Poley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>