-Caveat Lector-

 -------- forwarded message --------
 From: The Progressive Review <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998
 Subj: UNDERNEWS Dec 2

 The Progressive Review On-Line Report
 From Washington's Most Unofficial Source

 SAFIRE ON BILL

 What Clinton has done in his mocking answers to 81 questions is to
 fling down a gauntlet: Impeach me if you dare.  If you dare not,
 then the only adjectives acceptable to me in a shame-on-you-
 resolution are "indefensible" and "wrong" about my initial behavior
 and "misled" about my subsequent denials under oath (not 'lied' and
 certainly never 'unlawful').  You have my permission to be cross,
 goes this message -- but not judgmental.  -- William Safire

 81 ANSWERS

 Mr. Clinton is asking members to decide whether lying and dissembling
 are a sufficient defense for a president accused of lying and
 dissembling.  -- Washington Post editorial

 WHITEWATER RIPPLES

 "Someone close to the President" explained to the New York Post's
 Neal Travis, why the White House wants censure: "Censure means
 nothing.  Why, the next time there's a Democratic-controlled
 Congress, they could have the censure expunged from the
 Congressional Record."

 Attorney Christopher Horner offered the Washington Times' John
 McCaslin this take on the warped logic of the Clintonistas:

 "Lie under oath - bad.  Lie under oath about sex or to facilitate
 your sex life -- fine.  Steal a car -- bad.  Steal a car to have
 sex in, or get to your sex -- fine.  Rob a bank -- bad.  Rob a bank
 and use the proceeds to assist with sex -- fine.  .... Do anything
 you want illegal; but ensure that at some point in the process you
 have some sex; you are then off the hook."

.