Netanyahu Disputes CIA Over Release

JERUSALEM (AP) -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu challenged CIA
officials Monday to disprove his claims that the Palestinians have released
Islamic militants suspected in the bombing deaths of Americans.

Palestinian officials have vehemently denied the charges and accuse Israel of
trying to discredit their compliance with the Wye River peace accord the same
week that President Clinton was to meet with Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat
in Washington.

``I suggest to invite the representative of the CIA to a joint news conference
and I'd like to hear what he has to say publicly,'' said Netanyahu, responding
to Israeli radio reports that the CIA representative in the region accepted
the Palestinian denials.

``In any case we have our own information. It is very solid,'' he told
reporters.

According to the U.S.-brokered accord, CIA representatives are to monitor
Palestinian efforts to crack down on militants from Hamas and Islamic Jihad,
groups that have carried out dozens of deadly attacks against Israelis.

Netanyahu froze implementation of the Wye accord in December, accusing
Palestinian officials of violating the deal. The Palestinians insist they have
met their obligations under the accord.

In Washington, U.S. State Department spokesman James Rubin said, ``We do not
have any information that would confirm that any of the releases include
individuals implicated in the killing of Americans.''

Rubin said the Clinton administration would take up the matter with
Palestinian security experts.

Israel released the names Monday of 21 suspected militants it claims have been
let go from jails run by Arafat's Palestinian Authority but did not say where
the men currently are or provide evidence of the releases.

The list includes five Palestinians Israel alleges were involved in bombings
which killed dozens of Israelis and five American citizens.