-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.aci.net/kalliste/
<A HREF="http://www.aci.net/kalliste/">The Home Page of J. Orlin Grabbe</A>
-----

Impeached POTUS

A Clinton Story Too Hot to Handle

The rape of Juanita Broaddrick

The White House tried to pressure the Fox News Channel not to broadcast
a story about a woman who claims President Clinton raped her 21 years
ago and then coerced her into denying it under oath, network sources
said yesterday.
White House Press Secretary Joe Lockhart on Tuesday warned a Fox White
House correspondent not to run the story, noting that NBC News had
interviewed the woman in Arkansas and had not put the story on the air.

Fox ran the story anyway, and Internet scribe Matt Drudge yesterday
published Mr. Lockhart's unheeded words of warning, which the White
House did not categorically deny, but said were off the record.

Asked yesterday about pressuring the cable news network, Mr. Lockhart
said: "I'm just not going to discuss the private conversations I have,
even if others can't keep them private."

Mr. Drudge quoted Mr. Lockhart as telling Fox: "You guys will regret
this. Clinton haters have been putting this story out for a decade now,
as far back as the '92 campaign."

According to the Drudge Report on the Internet, Mr. Lockhart went on to
warn the correspondent: "If you go with the story after NBC News decided
not to, there won't be any argument about whether Fox News is right wing
or not."

James Kennedy, spokesman for the White House Counsel's Office, later
called Fox to argue that Mr. Lockhart's phone call had been off the
record, Mr. Drudge said. The network aired the story without using Mr.
Lockhart's quotes.

Persons close to the network said Mr. Drudge extracted the Lockhart
quotes from the network's computer system, but another person close to
Mr. Drudge said this was not so, that he obtained the quotes by talking
with "real live sources."

In any event, persons at the network confirmed the accuracy of the
quotes to The Washington Times yesterday.

The use of the quotes irked some Fox journalists, who intended to honor
the White House off-the-record request. Mr. Drudge declined comment.

Mr. Lockhart was asked by Bill Sammon of The Washington Times yesterday
at his regular White House briefing whether such pressure was
heavy-handed spin control or appropriate behavior for the White House
press secretary.

"If this is your way, your side way, to get into writing the story, go
ahead and write the story," Mr. Lockhart said. "I'm not going to help
you. You've already written it."

Helen Thomas of UPI then asked: "Did you pressure a network?"

Mr. Lockhart replied: "If any of you think I'm in a position to pressure
anyone, you give me more power than you think I have."

Bill Plante of CBS joined in the questioning: "Did you make the call, as
has been reported?"

Mr. Lockhart replied: "I'm just not going to discuss the private
conversations I have, even if others can't keep them private."

While persons close to Fox confirmed that the White House tried to spike
their story, others close to NBC insisted yesterday no such pressure had
been brought to bear by the White House. That has been the subject of
intense speculation in Washington for nearly a week. Some NBC
correspondents said the story, based on correspondent Lisa Myers'
lengthy interview last month with the woman in question, Juanita
Broaddrick, is still being corroborated and might well be broadcast.

They contradicted Mr. Drudge's assertion that the story had been spiked.

Mrs. Broaddrick's attorney, William P. Walters of Greenwood, Ark.,
yesterday confirmed to The Washington Times that his client broke her
self-imposed press silence two weeks ago to tell her story on camera to
NBC.

"They have not elected to run it as of yet," said Mr. Walters, who said
Mrs. Broaddrick was not paid for the interview. "We do not know if they
will run it."

FBI agents working for independent counsel Kenneth W. Starr visited Mrs.
Broaddrick in Arkansas in April to ask her about the incident, which is
said to have occurred when Mr. Clinton was the Arkansas attorney
general. Two investigators for the House Judiciary Committee impeachment
inquiry recently questioned Mrs. Broaddrick, who is referred to in legal
documents as "Jane Doe No. 5."

At issue is her claim that Mr. Clinton raped her in 1978. Her vivid
descriptions of a violent sexual assault were corroborated by a nurse
who said Mrs. Broaddrick told her during treatment that she was injured
by sexual intercourse with Mr. Clinton "against her will."

Mrs. Broaddrick was portrayed as the victim of a "brutal rape" in a
letter subpoenaed almost a year ago by Mr. Starr. That October 1992
letter, written to Mrs. Broaddrick by a friend named Phillip D. Yoakum
of Fayetteville, Ark., recalled unsuccessful efforts by himself and
Sheffield Nelson of Little Rock, a Republican candidate for governor of
Arkansas in 1992, to persuade her to go public with "how you resisted
until he ripped your clothes off and how he bit your lip until you gave
into his forcing sex upon you."

Mrs. Broaddrick has at various times told the story, and at various
times withdrawn it.

Friends and others in Arkansas say she is fearful for her family's
business interests, two homes for the elderly and mentally retarded in
Fort Smith and Van Buren, Ark., which are licensed by the state of
Arkansas and which receive government payments.

Paula Jones' attorneys -- to whom Mrs. Broaddrick recanted her
accusation that Mr. Clinton raped her -- produced documentary evidence
in federal court that Mrs. Broaddrick contradicted her own denials.

In a March 1998 filing, they called Jane Doe No. 5's story significant
evidence that Mr. Clinton "forcibly raped and sexually assaulted her and
then bribed and/or intimidated her and her family into remaining silent
about this outrage."

The attorneys argued it was relevant despite its age because it
contradicted Mr. Clinton's deposition testimony that "in my lifetime,
I've never sexually harassed a woman. ... I never have and I wouldn't."

In a tape recording obtained last month by The Washington Times, Mrs.
Broaddrick told private investigators for Mrs. Jones that her story was
"so horrible" she wouldn't repeat it.

"Bad, bad, bad things, I can't even begin to tell you," she told Dallas
investigators Rick and Beverly Lambert at her home on Nov. 13, 1997, in
a conversation recorded without her knowledge.

If subpoenaed, she said, "They won't get anything out of me. I'm sorry.
... It's very private. We're talking about something 20 years ago. I'll
deny anything."

The Broaddrick tape was subpoenaed in March from Mrs. Jones' attorneys
by Mr. Starr, but apparently not forwarded to Congress with the other
material.

The Broaddrick case, recounted by Mr. Starr in documents provided to
members of Congress, is said to have helped sway wavering House
Republicans toward impeachment in December. The Republicans reviewed
this and other evidence withheld from public view in a secure room at
the Capitol.

When the impeachment was forwarded to the Senate, House Majority Whip
Tom DeLay, Texas Republican, said "67 votes may appear out of thin air"
to convict the president if senators "spend plenty of time in the
evidence room."

The Washington Times, Feb. 4, 1999

Impeached POTUS

Monica Means Business

by Mark Steyn

'I WENT to the movies this afternoon," said Louisiana Democrat John
Breaux, staggering out of the Senate's deposition-video screening room.
"Got my box of popcorn and then all I did was watch Monica, Monica,
Monica! And I thought, you know what? I've seen that movie before."
You wouldn't want to be holed up for the Siege of Leningrad with Mr
Breaux. In American public schools, when a six-year-old finds it hard to
concentrate, they diagnose ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) and pump him
full of Ritalin. But ADD has nothing on ADD (Attention Deficit
Democrats): you could douse the Capitol in Ritalin and you wouldn't keep
the attention of these boys. Perjury, obstruction, witness-tampering,
trashing Monica's reputation . . . Let's face it, it doesn't have the
gripping qualities of a Senate appropriations bill with $200 million of
funding for the John Breaux Institute of Trial Procedure Studies in
Baton Rouge.

Blasé is the order of the day, and, as the trial drifts on, Senator
Breaux and his fellow Breauxmides are honing their ennui. "So they've
found footage of Bill pumping the bullets into Vince Foster," they drawl
laconically. "Daaahling, it's just too boring."

"Sid Blumenthal," sighed a media colleague, as we waited for yesterday's
star witness. "Monica, Monica, stalker, stalker, yawn, yawn. Been there,
done that." His phone rang. "CNN? Yeah, sure. I can be there in 10
minutes. But I've got CNBC at two, and then ABC. Plus I've got a column
to do on whether Andrew Johnson's trial in 1868 was this boring."

"We should fall down on our knees and thank God that Bob Dole didn't win
in '96," said another network scandal commentator. "I'd be living in a
trailer park in Jersey."

"Not me, guys," I scoffed. "I'm off to London. There's some Tory with a
gay lover and a couple of joints in his suitcase.

There'll be an independent counsel's investigation, his numbers'll go
up, the Parliamentary inquiry will rebound and destroy the career of
House Speaker Betty Boothroyd, impeachment manager Dennis Skinner will
be chief prosecutor in the House of Lords but vicious partisan Viscount
Cranborne will destabilise the proceedings. I figure I'm good for a
year's punditry on Sky TV and Talk Radio, plus maybe ghosting the gay
pal's book."

At that point, a page came in and tossed The Daily Telegraph on the
desk: "MEP in drug and porn shame quits." "Geez," said my friend, "What
kind of wacky, crazy system do those guys have over there?"

According to this week's federal government budget figures, Ken Starr's
office had spent, by November, $40.8 million.

That works out to about 15.68 cents per American, which must make it one
of the all-time bargains in the history of government spending. If
there's any American who feels he hasn't received his 15.68 cents worth
from this show, I've yet to meet him.

Lurking behind the ennui is the unspoken fear that the Monica scandal
hasn't just coincided with the economic boom, it's responsible for it.
It's estimated that about 63 per cent of Washington lawyers are now
living off it.

The meter for Mr Clinton's personal lawyers, David Kendall and Bob
Bennett, currently stands at around $12 million. Think of all the
increased tips they've dropped on waiters, bellhops, shoeshine boys in
the greater metropolitan area.

Or take this week's smoothest witness, Vernon Jordan, the Washington
"superlawyer". Mr Jordan is one of Washington's great enigmas: he's a
lawyer, but he doesn't practise law; he's a lobbyist, but he never does
any lobbying; he gets a million bucks a year, but no one can name a
single thing he's done in the last 12 months except land an unskilled
intern a $90,000-a-year job at Revlon.

This week, Mr Jordan was telling chums that he'd have the House
prosecutors for breakfast. Instead, he had the fruit yogurt. On Tuesday,
after he'd denied yet again ever having breakfast with Monica Lewinsky,
impeachment managers triumphantly produced a $39.55 credit card receipt
for fruit yogurt, fruit plate, assorted cereals and an English muffin at
the Park Hyatt.

If every time Revlon's personnel department has a $90,000-a-year vacancy
it hires a million-dollar-a-year headhunter to find someone completely
unqualified for it and buy her a $39.55 breakfast, it's no wonder the
Dow Jones is going through the roof. The best argument for not ending
the trial is that America is now entirely dependent on the Ken Starr
economy. Come the morning after there will be no fruit plate for
breakfast.

The London Telegraph, Feb. 4, 1999

Russian Follies

Yeltsin Bugged By Businessman?

Oil company raided

RUSSIA'S newly appointed prosecutor general was caught up in a growing
storm yesterday on his first day in the job after his office claimed to
have discovered hard evidence that President Yeltsin had been bugged by
one of the country's most powerful businessmen.
Yuri Chaika took over following the unexpected resignation of his
predecessor, Yuri Skuratov, who left office complaining of heart
problems, although it is more likely that he was pushed out by his
political enemies.

Local reports say that Mr Skuratov was in good health on Monday when he
ordered a raid on Sibneft, Russia's seventh largest oil producer, which
is widely believed to be controlled by the tycoon/politician Boris
Berezovsky, although he denies owning any part of it. The raid followed
claims in the media that Mr Berezovsky had been bugging his former
mentor, Mr Yeltsin.

Mr Berezovsky claims to have given up all his business interests, but
admits that he remains an "adviser" to Sibneft's management. His
political influence has waned since he fell from favour with the
president in the last few months.

The prosecutor general's office strenuously denies that the resignation
and the raid were connected. According to Vladimir Kazakov, the head of
the Prosecutor General's office for priority cases, the search of
Sibneft produced evidence that bugging was organised. They found audio
and video cassettes and espionage equipment in the management's safe,
but no further details were released.

The deputy prosecutor, General Mikhail Katyshev, said yesterday that he
had no doubt that the evidence recovered from Sibneft's office indicated
that Mr Yeltsin and his family were bugged. When asked who will be
charged with the crime, he answered "the bigshots will be," which was
widely seen as a reference to Mr Berezovsky.

The raid seems to be the latest in a string of attacks against Mr
Berezovsky. In two weeks, his stake in Transaero, Russia's first
successful private airline, has been annulled and the state-owned
television station ORT, which was suspected of being in his sphere of
influence, was placed under external management.

* Russia's former justice minister, Valentin Kovalyov, has been detained
on suspicion of embezzling "a large sum of money", the Interior Ministry
said yesterday.

The London Telegraph, Feb. 4, 1999

Information SuperSpyWay

Ron Paul Introduces Financial Privacy Bills

No "Know your customer" legislation

WASHINGTON, DC -- US Rep. Ron Paul will hold a press conference at 11:30
am on Wednesday, February 3, 1999 to announce the introduction of a
package of legislation securing the financial privacy rights of American
citizens. The press conference will be held in Rep. Paul's office, at
203 Cannon House Office Building, Washington, DC.
The Financial Privacy Protection Package, to be introduced Wednesday,
Feb. 3, includes:

Know Your Customer Sunset Act -- With a growing number of original
cosponsors already, this legislation will prohibit the FDIC, Federal
Reserve and other agencies from implementing the proposed "Know Your
Customer" regulations. The regulations have produced a firestorm of
opposition from consumers and bankers alike.

Bank Secrecy Sunset Act -- This legislation would sunset the Nixon-era
Bank Secrecy Act, a loosely written law which has been much-abused
(allowing regulators to create "Know Your Customer," for example) to the
detriment of the customers of financial institutions. The Sunset Act
would require that Congress either re-write the law, or devolve the
regulatory power to the states.

FinCEN Public Accountability Act -- This legislation will allow American
consumers to see the files created on them by the Financial Crimes
Enforcement Network, similar to laws allowing individuals to access the
files created on them by the FBI and credit bureaus.

WASHINGTON, DC -- In an effort to reclaim the eroding privacy rights of
American citizens, US Rep. Ron Paul on Wednesday introduced his
financial privacy package that includes three separate pieces of
legislation.

"Today we proclaim that American citizens have the right to be free of
the snooping, spying, prying eyes of government bureaucrats," said Rep.
Paul. "This legislative package will, once enacted, give Americans the
peace of mind that comes from knowing that their every financial step is
not being filed away and viewed as potentially criminal. This package
restores and protects the fundamental privacy and due process rights
that are the foundation of our system of government."

The centerpiece of the package is the Know Your Customer Sunset Act,
which will stop federal agencies from implementing recently proposed
regulations that would essentially turn bankers into the frontline spies
and investigators for the federal government. The proposed regulations
have garnered more than 14,000 opposition comments from customers and
bankers alike. Rep. Paul was the first Member of Congress to take a
stand against the proposed regulations.

"These rules are more like 'Spy on your neighbor,' and I have not yet
met anyone who likes them," Rep. Paul said. "I've heard from literally
thousands of people, and not one of them wants the government to require
banks to implement these massive new programs which turn every customer
into a presumed-guilty suspect."

An informal group of organizations and individuals actively opposing the
proposed rules and supporting Rep. Paul's legislation ranges from the
liberal American Civil Liberties Union to the conservative Eagle Forum.
In addition, the Texas Bankers Association, the California Bankers
Association and the American Bankers Association are actively opposing
the rules.

The Know Your Customer Sunset Act has about a dozen original
co-sponsors, including Majority Whip Tom Delay of Texas, Government
Reform chairman Dan Burton of Indiana and the Resources Committee
chairman Don Young of Alaska.

Rep. Paul's financial privacy package also includes the Bank Secrecy
Sunset Act. The measure would require that Congress either re-write the
poorly-written and abused Nixon-era law, or choose to devolve the power
of regulation to the states.

Finally, there is the FinCEN Public Accountability Act. This measure
would allow Americans to view the files created on them by the Financial
Crimes Enforcement Network, much as citizens are currently allowed to
view their FBI and credit report files.

"It's time for Congress to reign in the creeping Surveillance State; the
time has come, the people are demanding it."

A special section on Rep. Paul's web site contains a great deal of
background information on the important topic. It can be found at:
http://www.house.gov/paul/privacy/.
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.