-Caveat Lector-

How's this for a new cold war policy.  Russia is dead (or so we are led to
believe).  We need an enemy.  China is big and frightening.  China is not up
to snuff in matters high tech, computers, missiles, etc.  So what do you do?
You give China MFN status.  You approve the sale of sensitive and secret
material to China, including computers, encryption data, satellite technology,
and missile technology.  When they have become sufficiently capable of harming
us and are now a big, bad enemy they start to talk the talk; "We are building
new missiles to destroy the US Capitalist scum." (paraphrase) Now we can spend
even more money to protect us from the threat of China which we really made a
threat in the first place.  Brilliant strategy on the part of the MIC in the
USA.
Teo1000