-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 2/6/99 2:49:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<< #1  You support the "freedoms" of drunks, dope users and all the above
 to endanger and sacrifice a % of innocent victims or
 #2  You do not support the freedoms of people to endanger and sacrifice
       any victims?
 #3  or .. you are a two face hypocrite who denies others the same
 freedoms
       you wish to grant drunks and dope users?

                              Which is it Jethro?

Your arguments are specious and you jump to ridiculous conclusions.  My
opinion of course.  The connections you make in your e-mails are not valid.
It boils down to freedom, as you say, but freedom to do as one pleases as long
as it does not hurt someone else or damage property that does not belong to
you.  The potential for crime is not enough to warrant punishment for same.
Should all babies who have a genetic predisposition towards violence (which
does apparently have some validity) be aborted because they might be born and
they might cause harm to others at some unspecified point in time?  Should All
people who are in prison and due to be released be kept back because some
portion of them will commit crimes again, punish all for crimes that MIGHT
occur?  My answer is NO, simple as that.  If someone drives while drunk and
hits and kills a member of my family or other loved one, they have committed a
crime and should be tried and punished for it.  They should not be tried and
punished for the POSSIBILITY.  I leave my house every day to go to work, and
invariably during the course of the day I might wish ill on someone who has
done something to annoy me, and at that moment I have a GREAT POTENTIAL to
harm the other person, but I don't.  Should I be locked up for it?  If I did
harm the other person I would then be guilty of a crime, not before.  This is
the same reason that I am against "Hate Crime" laws.  I have the right to
hate, since it is something that is part of my person and as such is subject
to personal privacy and security of my person.  If I kill someone because I
hat them for their race, or ethnicity, or because they are of a different
sexual orientation than I am, is any more heinous a crime than killing them
because I want their money?  I say no.  And it is true in this debate also.
Kill someone with a car while drunk or high is no different from taking a gun
and shooting someone.  They both involve the death of another, wrongfully,
since taking an innocent life is wrong.  I can carry that gun around with me,
even while intoxicated and I have committed no crime, the potential may be
there but nothing has been done.  Same goes for the car, drive until Doomsday,
if I don't do anything to anyone else, be it personal or property damage in
some way then I have done nothing wrong, period.  I am against punishing
people for doing nothing wrong.
Teo1000