-Caveat Lector-

Brilliant reply, Linda!  (I had to retrieve this from my files.  I save a few
of the wiser posts.  My problem is that I print anything longer than a page
and delete what I have read or printed before going thru the printed stuff.
Then I think, gee, I should have replied to that.)

Your statement is eloquent, powerful, lucid.  More importantly your words of
reason go to the central truth not only regarding our super abundance of laws
but also concerning the motivation and the process by which a sorry cabal has
crippled the nation.

Jerry harp

APFN wrote:

•Lawyers are amoral by definition and necessity, and as such should not be
making the rules for the rest of society to live by.

<snip>
+++++++++

Linda Minor replied:

"...I happen to be [a lawyer], as are some of my very good friends.

I find this statement to be
totally asinine.  Amoral by whose definition?  It's not lawyers per se who
are to blame for "making the rules for the rest of society to live by" (as
though lawyers are not themselves a part of that society); it's the belief
of the public that legislation is the answer to everything.  There was a
time when a person could learn the law simply by working as an apprentice to
a practicing attorney to find out how to research judicial precedents and
making a cogent argument before a judge and jury about equity and fairness,
coupled with legal consistency.  Not so any more.  Law no longer consists of
well-reasoned opinions based on the study of jurisprudence and justice.
Everything is statutory (intricately detailed) or even more detailed in the
form of administrative regulations.  No lawyer can keep up with all the
changes in the law.  A person who wants to fight for justice finds himself
trapped in a quagmire of meaningless verbiage.

The problem is greater than the fact that laws are written and interpreted
by men and women trained to speak and write in a particular style.  The real
problem is the microcosm mentality which overlooks the Big Picture, the
historical perspective.  That problem is endemic in every facet of American
life today.  In Texas the State Bar this year increased the mandatory
continuing legal education requirement for ethics from one to three hours a
year.  That means we have to attend seminars analyzing the code of
professional ethics, which are silly rules passed to control how lawyers
deal with their clients.  The reason this seems necessary to the powers that
be is that most people don't know the difference between right and wrong;
they don't have the vaguest idea about honesty, truth or fairness.  So
somebody decided to write rules that set up a standard of behavior.  The
more rules there are, the easier it is to selectively enforce them against
enemies of those in power.

Without that system of detailed statutory law, this contrived impeachment
would not be taking place.  The inquiry is not about morality, perjury,
obstruction of "justice" or anything else other than raw power politics and
gamesmanship.  It is selective manipulation of rules of conduct to advance a
particular agenda.  If this inquiry was really concerned with justice, we'd
be hearing about what went on at Mena.  But then that would bring up the
CIA's role in the crack-cocaine trafficking which was so easily swept under
the rug in San Jose.  Even with Lawrence Walsh's Iran-Contra report
detailing the crimes of the Reagan-Bush cabinet, there was the Big Pardon,
and then everyone forgot all about what really happened and who did what.
The acts of those men were traitorous, and they were all let off.  Those
guys weren't lawyers; they were engineers, businessmen, and most of all
securities peddlers.  The word "attorney" simply means a person who acts on
behalf of someone else; an agent.  The biggest problem with lawyers is that
they believe in the adversary process--that they represent the person who
pays them to the best of their ability.  Do you seriously think your
proposal would keep the vested interests, who don't want their interests
divested, from finding someone else to protect them?

What's ironic about your entire article is that you're trying to do exactly
what you're ranting against--writing insipid legislation that doesn't really
address the evil but just further complicates things by putting another
meaningless law on the books.

MHO,

Linda"