-Caveat Lector-

   Friday February 19 4:10 PM ET

Teaching The World To Tame Organized Crime

   By Evelyn Leopold

   UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Sicily plans to teach educators from around
   the world how to fight the Mafia, a move that would have brought
   laughs if not bullets a decade ago.

   ``We exported for many many years a disease,'' Palermo Mayor Leoluca
   Orlando told a news conference Thursday. ``Why not export therapy that
   comes from our experience -- experience is the name we give to our
   mistakes.''

   The occasion is a June conference in Palermo -- the Sicilian capital
   that gave the world the word ``Mafia'' -- for educators and civic
   groups to discuss how to make democracy and the rule of law work in
   their own countries.

   The meeting, from June 18-22, is sponsored by Civitas International, a
   U.S. and European-based network to promote civic education, the
   Italian and U.S. governments and some United Nations agencies,

   David Dorn, an official with the American Federation of Teachers and
   the chairman of Civitas, said he expected delegates from all
   continents, including eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union,
   where a new kind of organized crime is forming.

   Palermo was chosen to show that the struggle against crime did not
   have to take generations or involve a police state.

   The Mafia has by no means disappeared in Sicily or elsewhere and still
   controls illegal businesses, Orlando said. But it no longer dominated
   its institutions.

   ``The Mafia needs dark and silence. In Palermo we have so much light,
   so much noise,'' he said.

   ``What is correct for Palermo can be correct for any other country in
   the world. ``It is not possible to have a democratic constitution if
   organized crime gets the primacy,'' he said.

   Tourism has returned and in 1998 there were seven murders in Palermo
   compared to 200 in 1992. The Teatro Massimo Opera, Europe's largest
   classical stage, reopened after 23 years, churches were rebuilt and
   tourism has returned.

   First appointed mayor in 1985, Orlando, a law professor and member of
   the European parliament, held various posts in Sicily before becoming
   the city's first mayor chosen by a direct election in 1993.

   Orlando pointed out that Italy's U.N. ambassador, Paolo Fulci, himself
   a former Mafia fighter, was a Sicilian, adding: ''We can't all be
   perfect.''

                   _________________________  ___________

   Feb 19 | Feb 18 | Feb 17 | Feb 16 | Feb 12 | Feb 11 | Feb 10 | Feb 09
                                  | Feb 08

    Index  |  Top Stories  |  Business  |  Tech  |  Politics  |  World  |
          Local  |  Entertainment  |  Sports  |  Science  |  Health

                           Questions or Comments
           Copyright © 1999 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
      Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly
          prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.
    Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content,
               or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.