In a message dated 99-03-02 16:33:50 EST, J1mS1 writes:

<<  Lifestyle fascism sucks.

 A major problem with many activists is instead of
 personalizing the political, they politicize the personal.
 Finding flaws in other people's lifestyles becomes something
 of a hobby for many progressive-types, instead of
 identifying and deconstructing the institutions that are the
 source of violence against humans, animals and the
 environment. It is an easy way out of making real change
 happen by just attacking this or that consumption pattern.

 What we need to remember is that by identifying certain
 aspects of Western lifestyle, such as meat-eating, smoking,
 or not boycotting the latest trendy issue, we are forgetting
 that it is the whole damn system that is wrong. Our power is
 more than our pocketbooks alone. To make real change we need
 to organize and find things that more of us have in common,
 not alienate others because they don't conform to some
 lifestyle guidelines. Why recapitulate the authoritarian
 tactics of the Christian Right or corporate America? Let
 people decide for themselves what they can or cannot boycott
 and get off the moral soapbox.   >>

Rather enlightening (for middle-agers, i.e.), this list!

------- Fwd: Message: -------
Subj:    [anarchopunk] 13 Lucky Tips for Activists