-Caveat Lector-

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Colleen Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have decided not to let this pass by; in the first place the question
>I asked about Jesus Christ holding a book and giving someone the mojo,
>was just that.
>
>At no time did I say he was holding a bible;  I sid a book.

You said a book with a gem-encrusted cover, and inquired why the book
would be covered in gems...my response was that you should read the Bible,
to find out what the meaning of certain gemstones mean.  I also pointed
out that before the invention of the printing press, that the creation of
a book was so labor-intensive that the cost of a book was in league with
precious jewelry, and it was not uncommon to create them as works of art/
jewelry...

Now, Jesus MAY be holding a copy of the latest Jackie Collins potboiler in
that icon of yours, but I doubt it...when Jesus is shown holding a book,
it is always assumed to represent The Word of God, e.g. the Bible...

>somewhere....Guttenberg, as I recall, published one of the first bibles.

Bibles had been 'published' for a millenia before that, albeit by hand by
monks working in illuminaries...

Guttenberg invented the printing press, and indeed printed a Bible,
starting a 'fad' which brought the cost of Bibles within the reach of the
middleclass, who previously could not afford them...but the prior hand
written/illuminated Bibles were still considered precious, and highly
collectable...and it was this group of Bibles which routinely had gen-
encrusted covers...

I suggest you not only study gemstome lore in the Bible, but the history
of illuminated manuscripts, such as The Book of Kells...

>June, you are rude and crude;

And you're stupid and lazy...and most likely a troll...

>I have a picture of you in mind and it isn't very pleasant =

And tell me why I'm supposed to care...?

June

*=======================================================================*
                     The world is coming to an end.
                 Log off and leave in an orderly fashion.
*=======================================================================*
*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*
                        revcoal AT connix DOT com
 It is UNLAWFUL to send unsolicited commercial email to this email
 address per United States Code Title 47 Sec. 227.  I assess a fee of
 $500.00 US currency for reading and deleting such unsolicited commercial
 email.  Sending such email to this address denotes acceptance of these
 terms.  My posting messages to Usenet neither grants consent to receive
 unsolicited commercial email nor is intended to solicit commercial
 email.