-Caveat Lector-

Kris Millegan wrote:

> Subject: THE SCOOP: A Fellow Of Infinite Jest

> Del Close was one of the early performers and directors who helped create
> the venerated Second City improvisational comedy troup in Chicago.  And as
> a creative guru to various Saturday Night Live casts, Del influenced
> entire generations of performers, from John Belushi and Bill Murray to
> Chris Farley and Mike Myers.
>
> You may not recognize his name, but Del was at least partly responsible
> for a large percentage of what you probably think is insightful and funny.

Once I went to a party with my sister-in-law at the home of the Attorney
General of Georgia, Michael Bowers. She had been invited to his office
Christmas party since she had worked in his office a few years before.
My brother was serving with the Army in Germany so I accompanied her.
Many of you may have heard of Michael Bowers. He became famous for his
successful defense of the Georgia's sodomy law and then there was the
recent controversy over his long time affair which was brought up during
his run for Georgia governor. Anyway, the story reminded me of the party
because of the great "faux pau" I made. Bowers was the center of
attention and was talking about his favorite tv shows. This was about
twenty years ago and "Saturday Night Live" was still somewhat new. When
Bowers announced that his favorite show of all was "SNL" I was reminded
that when it first came out there was a distinct difference in who liked
it and who didn't at the school I went to. Those who "got" the jokes
tended to have different "friends" then those who didn't. I blurted out:
"Oh really, we used to call that 'stoned humor'. Well, have you ever
heard the phrase: "you could hear a pin drop". I now know what that
means. Interestingly, during the recent gubernatorial campaign, Bower's
office was broken into. The police found a bong when they investigated.
Of course, it was presumed that it had been planted. But one can always wonder.

Howard Davis