from:
http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/18390.html
<A HREF="http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/18390.html">Political
News from Wired News</A>
-----
No Credit Where It's Due
by Declan McCullagh
3:00 a.m.  11.Mar.99.PST
WASHINGTON -- It's a time-honored tradition for presidential hopefuls to
claim credit for other people's successes.

But Al Gore as the father of the Internet?

That's what the campaigner in chief told CNN's Wolf Blitzer during an
interview Tuesday evening. Blitzer asked Gore how he was different than
other presumptive Democratic challengers, such as Bill Bradley. "What do
you have to bring to this that he doesn't necessarily bring to this
process?"

Replied Gore: "I'll be offering my vision when my campaign begins, and
it'll be comprehensive and sweeping, and I hope that it'll be compelling
enough to draw people toward it.... I've traveled to every part of this
country during the last six years."

Then came the kicker: "During my service in the United States Congress,
I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

Huh?

Preliminary discussions of how the ARPANET would be designed began in
1967, and a request for proposals went out the following year. In 1969,
the Defense Department commissioned the ARPANET.

Gore was 21-years-old at the time. He wasn't even done with law school
at Vanderbilt University. It would be eight more years before Gore would
be elected to the US House of Representatives as a freshman Democrat
with scant experience in passing legislation, let alone ambitious
proposals.

By that time, file copying -- via the UUCP protocol -- was beginning.
Email was flourishing. The culture of the Internet was starting to
develop through the Jargon File and the SF-Lovers mailing list.

Of course, politicians weren't completely unaware of the Internet.

According to one account, when Senator Ted Kennedy learned in 1968 that
Massachusetts-based BBN had won the ARPA contract for an "interface
message processor," he sent a congratulatory telegram. It thanked the
upstanding folks at BBN for their ecumenical spirit in devising an "int
erfaith message processor."

Blitzer, unfortunately, didn't appear to know any of that. After Gore
took credit for the Internet, Blitzer simply moved on talk about polls
showing Texas governor George W. Bush and Elizabeth Dole ahead of the
vice president.

Gore has taken credit for popularizing the term "information
superhighway" and around 1991 penned related articles for publications
such as Byte magazine. But the term "data highway" has been used as far
back as 1975, before Gore entered Congress.

In 1990, Gore introduced a bill that would allow the federal government
to enter the business of crafting software for teachers to use. Another
Gore plan would create a new federal research center for educational
computing to support an "information systems highway."

But the system he envisioned bears little resemblance to the
PC-dominated Internet.

"Supercomputers are the steam locomotives of the information age,"
then-Senator Gore was quoted as saying in one article published in 1990.
"In the Industrial Age, steam locomotives didn't do much good until the
railroad tracks were laid down across the nation. Similarly, we now have
supercomputers going into the seventh generation of supercomputers, but
we don't have the interstate highways that we need to connect them.

"Within four years, the top-of-the-line US$20 million supercomputers
will cost less than $400,000. A few years after that, they will be in
the $10,000 to $20,000 range."

But the development of the Net has resembled less a government-managed
industrial project -- such as the orderly interstate-highway systems
Gore hoped for -- and more an anarchic sprawl.

"Gore played no positive role in the decisions that led to the creation
of the Internet as it now exists -- that is, in the opening of the
Internet to commercial traffic," said Steve Allen, vice president for
communications at the conservative Progress and Freedom Foundation.

Since 1993, Gore has become one of the most prominent people in the
Clinton administration on issues related to high technology. He hosts
visiting businessmen and takes pride in personally announcing new
technology initiatives such as Internet II funding.

He also took the lead in supporting the Clipper Chip and continued
restrictions on the overseas shipments of encryption products.

High-visibility events can be prone to embarrassing slip-ups. At one
recent White House event, Gore introduced Cisco Systems CEO John
Chambers, who he had met with privately earlier that day.

Gore told the audience how much he valued Chambers and one of the
products Cisco produced. But he mispronounced "routers" as root-ers.

Copyright © 1994-99 Wired Digital Inc. All rights reserved.