-Caveat Lector-

Read the Declaration of Independence in particular, but the quartering
troops, etc.   It seems to me that the military gets out of line some
times, and attempts to run the President.....the President is the
Commander in Chief.

The Sheriff of the local counties is elected and the feds - they can
only be called in during emergency at the request of the Govenors.....if
pertaining to university areas, in particular.

Regardless, We, the people - anyone with such horrific power has to
answer ultimately to the people.....through their ELECTED officials from
the President, to the Governor, to the local elected chief law
enforcement officials.....and that puts the Mayo over the
Police.....this, is true system of checks and balances from the top of
my head, which is getting pretty forgetful.

In other words we do not live in a military dictatorship, and this list
is the best thing to happen to this country in my opinion in the last
200 years.  I love reading the experts when they finally get in the real
stuff