-Caveat Lector-

I did my master's thesis research in the interior of the park in
the late 70s.  I was a swim director and counselor at a summer
camp in the mid seventies.

At that time MOST of the park was closed...TO ALL BUT CANOES AND
PORTAGING.  I got a master key to all the chains into the park's
interior from the Parks Ministry (or what ever the authority
is/was), and it allowed us to drive to ALMOST all the
interior...half a day canoe paddle from where we could drive no
further gave us access to the rest.

Altho I didn't get to see much of the park (there's probably
close to a HALF MILLION square miles in all...or more), I never
got the impression you speak of, i.e., secret or otherwise
military stuff anywhere...and there were no military bases.

There are probably wilderness training excercises, i.e., tents
and canoes...but other than that there's just lakes, pines,
water, some summer camps and trading posts/portage stores, 1000s
of lakes, a few lakes with cabins (but very few populated lakes),
and more lakes.

As far as them restricting a lot of the interior from anyone who
was not able to do a 7-14 day out and 7-14 day back CANOE TRIP, I
just thought that they valued their NATURAL parks A LOT (i.e.,
kind of protective of their national treasures).

I was also a summer camp director there and our most advanced
canoe trip for the 4th or more year experienced 16 year olds and
above, and REAL expert counselors was 3 1/2 weeks away, and that
didn't come close to spanning the diameter of the park.

There was a lot of red tape, about 6 months of applications,
etc., to get the key to the interior roads, and my reseach has to
benefit the parks or country in some way, but with this
permit/key, we had total access to the park...went where ever we
wanted...had access to the entire countires park's interiors.

It was good for 3 months and could be renewed.  we left the
country several times during our work and didn't tell anybody. We
DID NOT have to leave travel itineraries/plans, or ANYTHING.  We
were totally alone with our scuba and camp gear, a little MG
sports car and a canoe.  I OFTEN thought that if my partner's car
broke down, if we had a dive accident, if a bear got us, etc.,
that they would never have found us cuz they didn't even really
know we were in there, let alone were to look is they had!

Things could have changed in the last 20 years, but I doubt
it...there really isn't even enough land for a runway!  Ever see
any of the park from the air or from aerial pics?  It's almost
all water.  The longest portages I remember (i.e., having to
carry the conoe on your back over land) was 1000-1200 yards...and
that was RARE!  I would think you'd be hard pressed to find a
mile and a half in any direction before coming to water, and if
you did, going off on a perpendicular would probably land you in
water in a few hundred yards.

All in all, I think the difference between Canadian parks and
ours in the US is that in Canada THEY'RE STILL PARKS!

Hope this helped,

Mike

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Kris Millegan wrote:

> -----
> <A HREF="aol://5863:126/alt.conspiracy:506242">Restricted Flight Zone In
> Algonquin Provincial Park</A>
> -----
> Subject: Restricted Flight Zone In Algonquin Provincial Park
> From: "Some Guy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Sat, Mar 13, 1999 10:16 AM
>
> Does anyone know anything about a secret military base located in Ontario,
> Canada's Algonquin Provincial Park?
> There is a restricted "No-Flyover" zone in the park, and several places you
> are not permitted to travel into in the park interior.  Why would they
> restrict access to a Provincial park?
>
> Feel free to email me with any info or theories:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> -----
> Aloha, He'Ping,
> Om, Shalom, Salaam.
> Em Hotep, Peace Be,
> Omnia Bona Bonis,
> All My Relations.
> Adieu, Adios, Aloha.
> Amen.
> Roads End
> Kris
>
> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
> ==========
> CTRL is a discussion and informational exchange list. Proselyzting propagandic
> screeds are not allowed. Substance—not soapboxing!  These are sordid matters
> and 'conspiracy theory', with its many half-truths, misdirections and outright
> frauds is used politically  by different groups with major and minor effects
> spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRL
> gives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers;
> be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credeence to Holocaust denial and
> nazi's need not apply.

> SIGNOFF CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Om

           Kaddish, Kaddish, Kaddish, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.