-Caveat Lector-

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Howard R. Davis III wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
>    In the 1998 World Cup (Soccer) held in France, two countries from the
> former Yugoslavia played (and did well). Yugoslavia and Croatia. I
> believe that Yugoslavia may have gotten into the final 8 and I know that
> Croatia came in third. No one mentioned Serbia as being a country.

An article in New American magazine (3/15/99) calls Kosovo a
"Serbian province" -- not a "Yugoslavian province." The
article goes on: "Serbs regard the province to be the
spiritual home of Serbian nationalism" -- not "Yugoslavian
nationalism."

More: "Many within the ethnic Albanian majority favor independence
from Serbia..." (New American, 3/15/99)

Scanning through the New American article, I find no mention
of Yugoslavia, *per se*; the nomenclature is always "Serbia
this; Serbia that."

This does not mean that there is no "Yugoslavia," just that
"Yugoslavia" is a word I hear less often and "Serbia" is
a word I hear more often. I'll take previous/current persons'
word for it, that there still is a Yugoslavia consisting
of Serbia/Montenegro. But news reports seem never to refer
to Serbia as Yugoslavia or as part of Yugoslavia these days.

Brian Redman
Temporary Organizer, 2nd Abraham Lincoln Brigade