-Caveat Lector-

A KINDER, GENTLER LYNCH MOB | PAGE 1, 2
- - - - - - - - - -

The façade of "judiciousness" and "bipartisanship" that the pious media, ever
cowed by the musty aura of Historic Constitutional Events, dark-wooded
chambers, invocations of "our national honor" and other useful fig leafs for
skullduggery, tried to sell us has vanished without a trace. Hyde, the Iran-
contra apologist and wisecracking GOP attack dog who was elevated to Solomon-
like heights of wisdom by the media before the disgraceful House Judicial
proceedings began, has now taken up final residence in the trash can with
unsavory American byproducts like our anal home-grown Robespierre, Kenneth
Starr, and the maniacal Bob Barr, who apparently believes that Clinton should
have been impeached at birth. There was Hyde this weekend on the talk shows,
saying that Clinton should resign. This paragon of impartiality apparently
modeled his jurisprudential approach on the Red Queen in "Alice in
Wonderland," who, as a witness departs in the trial of the Knave of Hearts,
says under her voice, "And just take off his head outside." But, gosh, he sure
sounds courtly talking that parliamentary talk.

In fact, Hyde may have been taking those groveling Times setup pieces a little
too seriously, for this weekend he began to invoke no less a figure than Jesus
Christ. Asked by Cokie Roberts why he advocated impeachment and didn't think
censure should be an option despite popular opinion, he replied, "If Jesus
Christ had taken a poll, he would never have preached the gospel." This is a
wonderful addition to the great American tradition of reactionary invocations
of Jesus, who after patriotism represents the best refuge for scoundrels. (The
all-time winner remains that English-only advocate who declaimed, "If English
was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me.") With all due respect to
the pious motivations behind Chairman Hyde's religious parallel, however, it
may not be a good strategy for him to go there. Somehow, when one looks at the
faces of Clinton's judges -- the pig-eyed ex-exterminator Tom DeLay; the
robotic, hate-filled Barr; the snidely, vitriolic David Schippers; the
priggish choirboy-judge Bill McCollum -- the loving face of the Savior does
not exactly rush into one's mind. In fact, these worthies recall somewhat less
inspiring figures from the New Testament -- namely the Pharisees, those
vengeful, legalistic Jews who denounced Jesus. (The "moderates," who will
doubtless be washing their hands avidly in the days to come, conjure up that
noted Northeastern GOP fence-sitter, Pontius Pilate.) Admittedly, the mushy-
souled escape artist President Clinton makes a truly terrible Jesus, but the
imagery still isn't good.

The Republicans are zealots, but they're crafty zealots. Their attempt to take
Clinton down may blow up in their faces, but they have reasons for thinking it
won't. They think they can get away with this without being punished at the
polls, even if they don't kill Clinton. But they cherish a secret hope that
they will kill him -- that once impeachment is a fait accompli, with all the
previously mentioned flag-waving, invocation of the Founders, gravity of the
charges blah blah blah, public opinion will turn against Clinton, leading
either to his resignation or to his conviction and removal by the Senate. And
that hope is based on their belief that Clinton's support is inch-deep -- that
once the American people realize he's in trouble, they'll desert him like rats
abandoning a sinking ship.

It's the self-fulfilling prophecy strategy, and it is astonishingly
contemptuous. It presumes that the American people have no memory, no
spiritual or moral consistency, that they are incapable of holding onto any
position any longer than a jittery kid with a remote can watch one TV program.
The GOP believes this for several reasons. First, they too are children of our
Warholian society of the spectacle, in which everything that flickers across
the screen has equal weight and nothing stays on the screen for more than a
few seconds. As such, they too have been seduced by the belief that, in Marx's
words, "all that is solid melts into air." Yesterday's Clinton supporter is
today's impeachment supporter.

The scary thing is, they just might be right. There have been very few tests
of our national consistency in the channel-changing age. The public might be
influenced by the media, which has begun running this-is-a-whole-new-ballgame-
now stories. The Times, much of whose Clinton coverage continues to appall,
splashed on its cover a thin reaction story (ominous headline: "Gravity of the
issues sinking in for a public weary of scandal") that featured two or three
people in that multicultural mirror of America, Tarrytown, N.Y., saying they
were now leaning toward impeachment. (How odd, considering nothing in this
story has changed in months except the vote to impeach.) But it would be
bitterly ironic (although perfectly consistent, considering their fealty to
the most ephemeral and history-destroying forms of commodity capitalism) if
the Republican Party, which at its best represents community and continuity,
were to use postmodern public amnesia to flick a president off the screen.

The second reason the Republicans think they may be able to change people's
minds is that their own Pharisaism, their residence on the Gothic side of
America's great cultural divide, makes them incapable of understanding that
the American people's so-what reaction to Clinton's sexual escapades and
subsequent lies about them is not mere empty situational ethics, not a debased
version of a '60s "whatever, man" ethos, but is a coherent and reasonable
moral vision. That vision represents the pragmatic spirit of one of our
culture's great achievements, the English common law, whose guiding word is
reasonableness. And it also reflects the lessons most of us learn from our
parents. You should never lie, our parents teach us when we're young, and that
is an essential lesson. But later they also teach us to understand why people
lie, to distinguish between different kinds of lies -- and to forgive when
forgiveness is called for. We learn that the real world doesn't entirely
correspond to the black-and-white moral universe our parents taught us. In the
real world, for example, we learn that politicians make moral compromises --
and flat-out lie -- all the time. We also learn that august politicians, and
even men with the word "judge" before their name, can be hatchet men. That
doesn't mean we don't strive to do the right thing, or expect that our leaders
do the same, but that we realize that sometimes it isn't clear what that is.
And we learn that often the people who are the most certain what the right
thing is, the people with the answer, the really moral people, are the most
dangerous of all.

Because the moralists who have hijacked the Republican Party don't understand
that the American people's morality, as evidenced in its reaction to Clinton,
is deeply rooted and coherent, they think it's shallow, a mere cover for
selfishness or laziness. They believe that once America grasps that high moral
"outrage," to use William Bennett's word, is called for, it will condemn
Clinton and reach new ethical heights. We must again, we hear over and over,
become a country of laws, not of men. They ignore the fact that no one wants
Clinton to be above the law -- people just don't want him to be below the law,
to be prosecuted for things no one else would ever be prosecuted for. And they
conveniently forget the fact that Clinton has been prosecuted for four years
not by "the laws" but by a highly flawed man.

In this vicious partisan climate, in which appeals to high moral purpose cloak
the intent to commit political assassination, the incessant demands by the New
York Times' editorial page that Clinton admit he lied under oath -- say "those
missing magic words," in the words of the headline of Monday's leader -- are
positively bizarre. Demanding that Clinton fall to his knees in an act of
national self-abnegation that might sway those fabled "moderates," the Times
insists that the most important issue facing the nation is not the
unprecedented and stunningly irresponsible action taken by the House Judiciary
Committee, not the likelihood that the GOP rank and file will follow its
jackbooted leaders and shut the country down, but whether or not Clinton says
"uncle." This is ridiculous. There's no reason to suppose that the rabid GOP
dogs who have been calling for Clinton's head all along would suddenly become
docile, censure-amenable laphounds if he admitted to perjury. There's a lot
more reason to assume that the long knives would come out in earnest, whether
now or after Clinton left office. (Republicans who are now saying they won't
consider censure unless Clinton admits he lied are using the issue to hide:
They know he can't admit that for legal reasons, but it gives them an excuse
to vote for impeachment.) Clinton has set the world record for public
humiliation, but apparently that is not enough for the Times. Out of some
inexplicably punitive and moralistic impulse, it pays less rhetorical
attention to the appallingly partisan Judiciary Committee proceedings (which
it criticizes almost in passing) than to whether Clinton has groveled low
enough.

Maybe the go-for-the-jugular Republican strategy will work, and the American
public will be won over to impeachment. But it probably won't. And there is
reason to think that the day of the impeachment vote -- most likely Dec. 17 --
will be a day that will live in GOP infamy -- that it will be remembered as
the day that the party lost its moral standing, became a marginal home for
dogmatists and cranks and cynical political opportunists willing to ignore the
wishes of the majority to satisfy the ravings of true believers. The
Republicans thought they could get away with spitting in the face of the
American people, but they may be spitting against the wind.
SALON | Dec. 15, 1998