-Caveat Lector-

SkeptiNews 990221a - - - - - - - - - - - All The News That's Fit To Question

: Passages starting with ':' are editorial comments to provoke discussion.
: Nothing contained herein is ever endorsed for truth, accuracy or meaning.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

> EINSTEIN, WRIGHT BROTHERS PICKED AS `GREATEST MINDS'. (CNN) The Wright
brothers, whose flying machine made the world a smaller place, and Albert
Einstein, whose theory of relativity expanded our view of the universe,
are among Time magazine's picks as the 20th century's greatest minds Time
singled out 24 men and women responsible for scientific breakthroughs,
inventions and innovations that led to such things as the atomic bomb, the
airplane, television and the World Wide Web. Originators of TV, Web also
named - http://cnn.com/US/9903/20/AM-Time-GreatThinkers.ap/index.html

: Do great consequences imply great minds? Were the Wrights' minds better
than Telsa's, Hawking's, Pauling's? Are only human minds eligible for this
contest? What about great Reptilioids, great CPUs, great chimpanzees? Why?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# Official: using your cellphone can make you smarter. (IND) Britain's first
official investigation into the health effects of mobile phones has found
that, far from causing memory loss, they can actually improve mental perf-
ormance. A study using volunteers who had dummy mobile phones strapped to
their heads while carrying out psychological tests has overturned the popu-
lar view that the telephones cause people to forget things. I left it here
someplace - see http://www.independent.co.uk/stories/A2003901.html

: If you strap a cellphone to your head long enough will you attain superin-
telligence? Is this better than implants? Do cellphones interfere with your
implant? How? Do the voices in your head need phones or do they call anyway?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

> PROZAC NO BETTER THAN OLDER DEPRESSION DRUGS. A sweeping US gov't study of
antidepressants found that Prozac and other drugs of its generation worked
no better and no worse than older medicines to alleviate major depression.
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as Prozac have been
prescribed widely since they came on the market, but authors of Thursday's
study suggested older drugs such as tricyclics may be better tolerated by
some patients. http://cnn.com/HEALTH/9903/19/antidepressants/index.html

# AHCPR - Newer Antidepressant Drugs Are Equally as Effective as Older-
  generation Drug Treatments: www.ahcpr.gov/news/press/pr1999/deprespr.htm
@ Depression.com -- Antidepressant Medications:
  http://www.depression.com/good/good_07_medications.htm
@ Antidepressant Agents:
  http://www.lexi.com/HTMLSample/appendix/section/xx000500.htm

: Are you depressed over the cost of Prozac? Are you depressed because your
alien implant only plays mono, not stereo or quad? What's your favorite an-
tidepressant drug? Is your favorite therapy surgical, medical, electrical?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

> PANIC SWEEPS MALAYSIA VILLAGES OVER ENCEPHALITIS VIRUS. Farmhands clutch-
ing lumber ran from pen to pen clubbing pigs to death amid panic rumors in
Malaysia that a killer virus had gone airborne. "Keep safe, go away!" shou-
ted a pig breeder in a surgical mask who identified himself as Wong. In a
desperate attempt to stave off epidemic, authorities stepped up their battle
against Japanese Encephalitis (JE), spreading from pigs to humans via the
Culex mosquito from nearby swamps and drains. "If you smell the pigs, you
can die!" http://cnn.com/HEALTH/9903/19/malaysia.encephalitis.ap/index.html

# And: MALAYSIA SAYS DEADLY VIRUS STILL IDENTIFIED AS JE:
  http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/Reuters19990318_2954.html
# Health Ministry forces vaccinations to prevent outbreak of JE:
  http://www.medscape.com/other/ProMED/1999/01.99/ProMED.v99.n000.html
# MALAYSIA TROOPS TO CORDON OFF VIRUS-HIT AREA
  http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Business/Reuters19990318_3154.html
# Soldiers shoot pigs to fight encephalitis virus:
  http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/AP19990320_108.html

: Do pigs deserve to live? Was encephalitis implanted by the CIA, Grays,
Illuminati, makers of vaccines? What would YOU do in this situation? Why?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

# When humans are obsolete. Three decades after Stanley Kubrick and Arthur
C. Clarke gave us the indelible image of HAL, the archetype of the "thinking
computer" in the film of Clarke's "2001: A Space Odyssey," there's been a
resurgence of the idea of a machine with intelligence superior to that of
human beings. http://www.nandotimes.com/healthscience/0,1084,,00.html

: Are you or your thoughts obsolete yet? Will you be soon? What do you think
about AIs/ALs [Artificial Intelligences/Lifeforms]? Can/will they get stoned
out? Can/will they evolve weird religions and other belief systems? Can/will
they be conned, defrauded? Does intelligence trump experience? Do you care?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

SkeptiLinks:

@ Hacking: www.thecodex.com/hacking.html
@ Mysteries of the Nile: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/egypt/
@ Space Ventures: http://members.aol.com/benchuck/science/
@ Great Books WebRing: www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/6681/gbring.htm
@ Six billion Human Beings: http://www.popexpo.net/english.html
@ All about insects: http://www.insecta.com/
@ Statistics of the day: http://www.msu.edu/user/gribbenm/
@ Greek Mythology Today: http://www.greekmyth.com/
@ Women's History Resource Center: www.gale.com/gale/cwh/cwhset.html

@ AZTEC UFO 99 Festival: http://www.cyberport.com/aztecpl
@ E-list covering priory of sion, knights templar, masons, merovingians,
  holy grail, rennes-le-chateau: http://members.xoom.com/priory_sion/
@ British Monarchy: http://www.royal.gov.uk/
@ Harry Houdini: http://www.microserve.net/~magicusa/houdibio.html

@ AMERICAN NEWSPEAK: cutting-edge Doublethink: http://www.scn.org/newspeak
@ Clandestine Military Urban Assault Training Missions - MOUT:
  http://www.city-net.com/~davekle/mout.htm
@ Operation URBAN WARRIOR: www.defenselink.mil/specials/urbanwarrior/
@ OSCARS/PLANETOUT: The Queerest night in Hollywood turns 71 this Sunday:
  http://www.planetout.com/whats-hot/features/1999/03/oscar.html
@ Webster's Dictionary of legal, lawful, & propaganda terms:
  http://www.freedom-and-law.org/

@ Y2K Product Database: http://www.y2kbase.com/
  http://cnn.com/TECH/computing/9903/18/britain.millennium.bug/index.html
> FEDERAL GOVERNMENT CIOS GIVE GLIMPSE INTO Y2K EFFORTS:
  http://cnn.com/TECH/computing/9903/19/fedcio.y2k.idg/index.html

"Sulu had reservations about Atari Corporation's refit of the ENTERPRISE
every time he had to feed another dollar into the navigation console." -DPC

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.sonic.net/~ric * ICQ# 19633976 *
Email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fast link to SkeptiChat archives: http://www.sonic.net/~ric/sc/files.htm