-Caveat Lector-

Shamanism and Drug Propaganda - The Birth of Patriarchy
and the Drug War, by Dan Russell (1998)
http://www.kalyx.com

Anthropologist and Ethnobotanist Pedro Fernandes Leite da Luz, M.A.:

"Dan Russell's book, "Shamanism and the Drug Propaganda" starts with questions
of basic importance to ethnobotany. Anyone working in this discipline is aware
of the profond and ancient relationship between man and plant. Not only in
tribal societies, but even in our own industrial society plants still have
enormous cultural impact. Ethnobotany has demonstrated the worldwide importance
of plants not only in material culture - as the raw material for tools, goods,
medicines and foods - but especially as powerful symbols in all the world's folk
cosmologies."

"Most of the plants which have acquired the status of sacred or divine symbols
are psychoative plants, i.e. plants which contain active substances closely
related to our own neurotransmitters. In fact it is hard to find a
pre-industrial society which hasn't made a sacrament of a psychoative plant.
Using studies such as my own among the Maku in the northwest Amazon, ethnobotany
can demonstrate the relationship between psychoactive plants and the tribal
roots of human religion."
"But if the psychoative plants are so deeply rooted in our evolved sense of the
sacred, why are they so viciously banned in contemporary industrial cultures?
Dan Russell's book answers this question. This important volume show clearly and
easily how the cultural evolution of the occident has created the present
situation. Starting in the 'golden age' when humankind had free access to the
"mysterium tremendum," Russell shows with competence how little by little the
state and the church have coopted and banned direct access to traditional sacred
states."

"Shamanism and the Drug Propaganda" traces the cultural evolution of our species
from shamanism to the mass media religions. It is an important book, very well
written, a must for anyone interested in psychoactive plants and in the cultural
evolution of humankind. It is also a very pleasing volume to read, the kind of
book that will keep you holding your breath until the end. I strongly recommend
this heavily illustrated, original, yet rigorously empirical historical vision."

"I had long believed that the Drug War began in this century with Harry J.
Anslinger's Reefer Madness campaign. Jonathan Ott's works pointed out the much
earlier roots of this antagonism towards entheogenic plant sacramentalism,
perhaps beginning with the destruction of the temple at Eleusis and its 2000
year-old rites. Dan Russell's Shamanism and the Drug Propaganda takes this
theory further. Russell looks back to early examples of cultural artifacts, such
as murals, pottery, and jewelry. Images of entheogenic plants and shamanic
activity dominate these early artifacts. 'The central sacrament of all
Paleolithic, Neolithic, and Bronze Age cultures known is an inebriative herb, a
plant totem, which became metaphoric of the communal epiphany.' These images
support Russell's contention that plant magic WAS the old time religion."

"Russell shows that by the time of the Bronze Age, the images of plant magic
begin to give way to images of centralized authority. Images of the priesthood
and rulers begin to dominate the cultural imagery from the Sumerian and Egyptian
societies. Russell uses these images to illustrate the co-emergence of hostility
towards plant sacraments and the early beginnings of patriarchal authority. This
shift in cultural imagery is correlated by Russell to the historical movement
from egalitarian, matriarchal culture to militaristic, patriarchal culture."

"Russell convincingly connects the rise of wealth-managing bureaucracies and
growing militarism to the changes in attitudes towards entheogenic sacraments by
the use of many illustrations and excerpts of ancient texts. Jane Harrison's
Prolegomena To The Study of Greek Religion and Epilegomena To The Study of Greek
Religion are used and built upon by Russell. The book ends early in the
Christian Era, leaving me hungry for the next volume, which will hopefully take
up from the Christian Era to our present time. By exploring "the ancient,
unconscious roots of the Drug War" this important work should help us to awake
from the centuries-long nightmare of a history in which we fear one of the most
common of human behaviors." Doug Aanes "Dope Fiends"