Subject: A warrior race
From: "Brigitte Stewart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, Mar 28, 1999 9:19 AM

Subj:  Serbs must draw on fierce fighting spirit that Nazis failed to crush
Date: 3/28/99 9:50:29 AM Eastern Standard Time

Times of London - March 26 1999

A warrior race

Serbs must draw on fierce fighting spirit that Nazis failed to crush

FROM ROGER BOYES IN BERLIN

On Serbian television yesterday they were showing black and white
films of partisan adventures - heel-clicking Germans contrasted with
rugged Yugoslav guerrillas - until the 11am news interrupted the
broadcast with a special bulletin about how to guard against nuclear
or chemical weapons. The connection was clear, the message obvious:
Serbs will have to draw on their historical reserves, on their
well-chiselled images of wartime heroism, to resist the Nato
onslaught.

The fact is that the Serbs are a fighting people and the legitimacy of
postwar Yugoslavia was built on the heroic hardiness of the partisan
war against the Germans. In part the war stories are mythical. Tito,
the communist partisan chief who became Yugoslav leader, inflated the
number of war dead to 1.7 million in order to extract higher
reparations. The partisan legend is also tainted somewhat by the
fierce fighting between Tito's forces and the nationalist Chetniks
loyal to King Peter. The Tito partisans formed the new political class
after the war and naturally their fighting skills were exaggerated.

But the Serbs were nonetheless formidable, holding down several
divisions of German soldiers. Almost from the start of Germany's
occupation of Serbia, southeastern Europe was a drain on Hitler's
army. And the Serbs paid in blood.

The German attack on Serbia in April 1941 deployed 600 bomber and
combat aircraft. Belgrade was set ablaze. More people were killed than
in all the earlier bombings of Warsaw, Coventry and Rotterdam.

When two SS men were killed, German soldiers rounded up 36 civilians,
hanged half and shot the rest. By July 1941 52 "communists and Jews"
were shot as punishment for an attempted assassination of a general.
By September 1941 General Wilhelm Keitel declared that "the execution
of 50 to 100 communists is appropriate for the taking of one German
soldier's life". That was a symptom of German panic. After the
relatively smooth occupation of Western Europe, the Germans were not
ready for the toughness of the Balkans; the war against the Soviet
Union had begun and there was no patience for the Serbian sideshow.
But railway lines were blown up and great swaths of the country fell
under the control of the Chetniks of Draza Mihajlovic and later, the
communist partisans under Tito.

The British historian, Norman Davies, comments: "The fierce
determination of the Yugoslav partisans to kill the invaders was only
exceeded by their proclivity for killing each other." German garrisons
came under siege, supply columns were ambushed. No soldier was safe
off duty. Their bodies, faces mutilated, were dumped near the gates of
barracks. The field correspondence of German soldiers shows that they
lived in terror of the Serbs.

The wartime feuding between the Chetniks and the Titoists remains one
of the fault lines in the Serb political class. Mihajlovic - who had
struck stand-off deals with Italian and German commanders - was tried
and executed by Tito after the war.

A novel by Vuk Draskovic, Deputy Prime Minister of Yugoslavia,
entitled The Knife (Noz), best captures the Serbs' fighting spirit. It
depicts the mutual wartime slaughter of different Yugoslav groups. His
hero muses: "Our people have a device which they can handle better
than anyone else in the world, and a word that they can pronounce
better than anybody else. This uncomplicated device and single word
constitutes our seal, our symbol, our historical legitimacy. . . it is
the word noz, the knife, and when we hear it our eyes fill with fire,
in those three letters our whole history is squeezed."

-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.
Em Hotep, Peace Be,