From: Michael Novick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Published Monday, April 5, 1999, in the San Jose Mercury News
>
>Explosive Theory On `Espionage'
>

>By Michael Dorgan
>Mercury News Staff Writer
>
>LOS ANGELES -- Sam Cohen is an atheist Jew whose most prized possession is
>a peace medal given to him by a Roman Catholic pope. He got it for creating
>the neutron bomb.
>
>"No (expletive deleted) rabbi or Protestant minister wanted anything to do
>with me," grumbled Cohen, now 78 years old and still bitter that most
>people didn't share the pope's approval of his work.
>
>After more than 40 years in the strange, shadowy world of nuclear weapons,
>the father of the neutron bomb now spends his days brooding at his sunny
>hilltop home in affluent Brentwood. His rail-thin body has been slowed and
>stiffened by arthritis, but his mind remains agile and combative.
>
>Cohen is still eager to defend what has been derided as a "capitalist bomb"
>that kills people without destroying property. But the thing he is most
>eager to talk about these days is his theory on how China may have obtained
>U.S. nuclear secrets.
>
>Just as a congressional committee is expected to release a report allegedly
>documenting a successful espionage campaign by China and continuing lax
>security at the nation's weapons labs, Cohen said he has a more probable
>explanation of how China may have acquired the neutron bomb and the design
>of miniature nuclear warheads.
>
>His theory, befitting a man who has devoted his life to big explosions, is
>a bombshell. Cohen said he's convinced that China didn't steal those
>secrets, but that the United States gave them away.
>
>"All the logic dictated that we do that," he said. "When we get in a jam,
>so much for policy. We don't hesitate to break the ideological rules, just
>like (President) Reagan did when it came to getting the hostages freed. He
>gave hated Iran all sorts of conventional weaponry."
>
>That the Reagan administration swapped arms for U.S. hostages is a matter
>of record. Cohen's claim that the United States gave nuclear secrets to
>China is merely a spectacularly contrarian theory, and one quickly
>dismissed by some people who were in relevant government positions when
>China allegedly acquired the secrets in the 1980s. One former China expert
>for the Central Intelligence Agency who doesn't personally know Cohen goes
>so far as to suggest he may have lost his neutrons.
>
>"I suspect he has good days and bad days," said the former agent, Milt
>Bearden.
>
>James Lilley, a former CIA station chief in Beijing as well as a former
>ambassador to China, also finds Cohen's theory "far-fetched." He said that
>to his knowledge transfer of nuclear technology to China was never even a
>topic of discussion.
>
>But Robert Shreffler, former head of the weapons division at Los Alamos
>National Laboratory, said Cohen "presents a plausible case." Shreffler said
> [...]

    In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
                   educational purposes only.

  People Against Racist Terror (PART) PO Box 1055 Culver City CA 90232
               Tel.: 310-288-5003   E-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                       Order our quarterly:
 "Turning the Tide:Journal of Anti-Racist Activism, Research & Education"

  End the racist death penalty! Free Mumia Abu-Jamal, Alejandrina Torres,
        and all political prisoners and P.O.W.'s in U.S. prisons!

We have a new web site!
http://www.onelist.com
Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services