[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< WASHINGTON (AllPolitics, April 6) -- President Bill Clinton urged Congress
 Tuesday morning to expand the list of hate crimes covered under federal law
 to include cases involving sexual orientation.
 "The Hate Crimes Prevention Act would be important substantively and
 symbolically to send a message to ourselves and to the world that we are
 going into the 21st century determined to preach and to practice what is
 right," Clinton said during a Roosevelt Room ceremony.

Well, here is the deal, and a lot of you may not like this but I support your
right to hate.  That's right I think it is covered under the constitutional
right to personal privacy and security in your person and property.  You have
the right to hate me, because I'm ugly, slow, of a different race, rich,
poor, stupid, moronic, a genius, fat, lazy, homosexual, heterosexual,
indifferent, passionate, arty, chintzy, cheap, generous, liberal,
conservative, skinny, too loud, too quiet, aloof, arrogant, and any other
reason.  Additionally you have the right to think these things of me any time
you wish and with my complete support.  The problem with all of this, to me,
is that it imposes upon you to change your mindset and your belief system.
It would be the same as the government telling you you had to be a certain
religion or that you had to act a certain way, even if it is contrary to your
belief system.  That is mind control and it should not be anything that we
are forced to deal with.  We have enough artificial control in our lives now
we don't need more.
I think you have a right to be bigoted, hateful, and racist.  You have a
right to be secure in your thoughts.
While I do support your right to hate, I also support people rights.  Which
is to say while you can hate, if you ACT on that hate then I have a problem
with it.  We are guilty when we COMMIT acts against people not when we think
them, otherwise we would all be guilty of murder at one time or another
because we have all thought about killing that really annoying person at
least once.  You have a right to be secure in your person from physical harm,
violence, rape, theft, and discrimination.  So hate all you want, more power
to you, but just don't act on it or face all the power of the state to punish
you for your actions.  Should you suffer more because the crime was committed
because of hate or bias?  NO.  The end result is the same, an injury has been
done, the motive is not important the crime is.
Teo1000